Natalie on the cover of Entertainment Weekly

By December 29, 2010Nat-news

Natalie is on the cover of Entertainment Weekly’s January 2011 Oscar Race issue. EW posted a preview and small excerpt with some quotes from Natalie on their site:

“The 29-year-old actress — who graces the cover of this week’s Oscar Race issue — is poised to score a Best Actress nomination for her career-high turn as a tormented ballerina in Black Swan, a role she says nearly destroyed her. “There were some nights that I thought I literally was going to die,” she says. “It was the first time I understood how you could get so wrapped up in a role that it could sort of take you down.” Instead, the performance has lifted Portman into the ranks of Oscar shoe-ins this year (alongside 127 Hours star and Oscar co-host James Franco, who also gets his own EW cover this week) and turned Black Swan into an unlikely box office star — with a little help from a steamy love scene between Portman and co-star Mila Kunis. “Everyone was so worried about who was going to want to see this movie,” Portman says. “I remember them being like, ‘How do you get guys to a ballet movie? How do you get girls to a thriller?’ And the answer is a lesbian scene. Everyone wants to see that.”

Author Rachel

More posts by Rachel

• rockla says:

So they put that scene in the movie just to get people to watch it?!?! That seems very ‘sell out’ ish (not sure if that’s the correct term).
    Not gonna lie though, it was an interesting scene.

I kind of think she’s just joking around because otherwise that’s a really belittling comment to make. The whole gender stereotypes and exploiting an already exploited sexuality thing sort of gets under my skin, though.

• awiseone says:

EW posted these exerts out of context because I received this in today’s mail and it reads differently when it’s is in the right context.

• Mockingbird says:

I’m sure she’s just joking around with the last few sentetences. I didn’t even give it a second thought until I just saw rokla and omgzrachel’s comments here.

• Ashmiester says:

I get guys wanting to see it for that reason, but not girls…well, not all girls, haha.

• awiseone says:

They were my least favorite scenes in the movie to be honest and

My copy of EW has Franco on the cover.

• shoe89 says:

is she preggs in the picture?

• PatrynXX says:

Guess I’ll have to keep that issue… 😛 $2 subscription thank you.. provided I respond to the nice postcard in the mail from time to time..