Happy Easter Natalie fans from around the world. Hope you’re all having a good day and if not, maybe these fanart submissions will help lift the mood. Thanks to, in order – Alejandra, MJ and Emanuel.
We’ve updated the gallery with UHQ and tag-free replacements of the candid photos of Natalie and Benjamin Millepied spiffed up and catching a water taxi to a dinner event in Venice last weekend. Thanks to Iktriad and anna1992anna.
I am really excited about Natalie’s directorial debut, A Tale Of Love And Darkness, but I still wish Macbeth (with Michael Fassbender) could have happened as well. Instead schedules meant Natalie dropped out to be replaced by Marion Cortillard, and even though production is under way, the first publicity photos have arrived. Sigh.
Just a couple small updates tonight…
- If you follow us on Twitter you would have seen a tweet this morning confirming that Knight Of Cups was not finished in time for Cannes, thus no Natalie films will be showing…barring a late surprise. I don’t know what saddens me more, that we won’t get to see another red carpet appearance for Natalie or that we’re probably still months away from hearing reviews of a new Natalie film. Le sigh.
- And Soraya was kind enough to send in a translation for the blogger who spotted Natalie at Palais Garnier a couple weekends ago.
Of course she was accompanied by her husband, Benjamin Millepied, future director of the Opera Dance, and even though we saw each other, she didn’t recognize me….but I recognized her. As they arrived late, the audience practically didn’t see them. At the intermission, they disappeared…I saw them again in the hall. She seemed very shy in her dress with puffed sleeves, the sort of dress a little girl would wear to see a dance recital at school.
A couple Terrence Malick related tidbits for you guys and gals this evening.
- The Cannes lineup is announced this week and we’re all praying to the movie gods for one of Natalie’s films to make a premiere appearance. Well, pouring so cold water on the fire is Deadline Hollywood who say they’ve heard that Knight Of Cups is not finished.
- Speaking of Knight Of Cups, the IMDB has added a R rating for sexual content throughout, some graphic nudity, pervasive language , violence and sexual comments. Sounds like my kind of movie. I have no idea how accurate IMDB is when it comes to film ratings, but if true then the film must be finished…?
As for the sexual content, it’s not normally something that we’d associate with Malick but the buzz on the OTHER Natalie-Malick film (still untitled) was steamy, so given that the two films are probably linked it wouldn’t be surprising if they’re both pushing the boundaries a little.
Thanks to Belerofonte.
A chic-looking Natalie and husband Benjamin Millepied were spotted catching a taxi to a dinner event last Saturday and doing some sightseeing the following day in Venice, Italy. A big thanks to Kitten and Garcy for the finds (via The Daily Mail, JustJared, and CelebMafia)!
It’s time for the final of our Dior Magazine pic battle. The cover image strolled to a huge 72% victory in the semi final, meaning we still haven’t really had a close matchup thus far. Maybe the final will finally deliver a more even contest.
Natalie and Benjamin attended a performance by the First Performing School Of Dance at the Palais Garnier last weekend. A blogger happened to be sitting a few seats over and took some blurry snaps. He describes Natalie as seeming “very shy” and like a “little girl”…at least according to Google translate
Click the image below to go to the post. Thanks to Kitten.
Here are a few mini news items to start the weekend…well, the first one is major-mini.
- We’ve been expecting some Jane Got A Gun news but were thinking more along the lines of a poster or trailer. No, instead we have the news that distributor Relativity has moved the film from it’s August 29th release date and will now be opening…errr…honestly, we have no idea yet. It could be good news if internally they consider the film might have some awards prospects. Or it may skip the awards season altogether and land early 2015.
Let’s hope that we get a new date soon because, seriously, we need a new Natalie film ASAP.
- NY Daily News has a little write up from that adorable new set of candids from Versailles.
“They aren’t exactly royalty, but Natalie Portman and her family were still treated to a royal day in the park of the Versailles castle in France over the weekend. Portman enjoyed a boat ride with her husband, choreographer Benjamin Millepied, and their 2-year-old son, Aleph, while touring the grounds and the Grand Canal. La belle vie!”
- The Black List is Hollywood’s annual back patting for the best scripts that have no been made into films yet. The Playlist has a nice breakdown of the best and worst Blacklist films, and it becomes clear that Natalie hasn’t had much luck with the Blacklist. While none of her films make the worst 10, there are three listed in the dishonorable mentions – The Other Boleyn Girl, No Strings Attached and Love And Other Impossible Pursuits. OUCH.
Thanks to Kitten and Belerofonte.
Happy to bring you guys some fanart today courtesy of Elana (left) and Anya (right). Portmania isn’t too far off so I hope the talented Natalie fans out there are already preparing some special fanart for Natalie’s birthday.
Usually, paparazzi pictures either bore me or make me uneasy, but these candid photos of Natalie on a family outing in Versailles are too cute to pass up (unless seeing Aleph pictured bothers you, then I’d steer clear). A big thanks to Belerofonte for the finds.
Thanks to Kitten we have confirmation that Natalie did participate in We Day via a video feed. If anyone manages to find the video, please drop me a line. Would love to see what Natalie had to say to the crowd.
As you may have heard, David Letterman has announced that he will be retiring from The Late Show sometime next year. The reason I felt it was worth a mention here is because Natalie has appeared on his talk show 16 times. I don’t watch the show so I’m not sure if there are other guests who frequent as often, but from Natalie’s side there are definitely no other hosts and interviewers that she has such a complete history with. Clearly they have a good connection and the interviews have resulted in some of my favourite Natalie moments through out the years. We he does retire I’m sure we can track down all the interviews for posting, but here is a link with some highlights throughout the years.
It must also be said that Natalie could very well return two or three more times before Dave calls it a day. Those appearances should be extra special now that we know the clock is ticking.
New batch of mini updates ahoy.
- The big news (of this tidbits update at least) is that Natalie whisked herself off to France where she will be working on the post production for A Tale Of Love And Darkness. I’m not sure if it was intended but this article seems to take a positive of the cast and crew sad to see Natalie go and manages to write it in a way that it could be read that she let them down by…I dunno…finishing filming? I’ve already had someone on Twitter asking me why Natalie left Israel without talking to anyone.
In any case, let’s rather focus on this nice quote from one of the actors on the film.
“It was my first film, but she’s such a wonderful director. She’s confident, she knows what she wants and she’s a great leader.”
- Next up, Allocine is reporting that Jane Got A Gun will premiere in France on October 29th.
- Finally, Luc Besson has a new film. He’s directing, it’s got a one character name for a title. It’s about a female who kicks ass. It’s starring Natalie’s Boleyn sister, Scarlett Johansson. And it looks, to me at least, absolutely horrible.
Thanks to Belerofonte and Kitten.