Conspiracy this

By November 7, 2006Site-news

Evening

What on earth is going on with Goya’s Ghosts? Laura Barnaes confirms the issue of Nat not attending the premiere.

I’ve just heard Milos Forman himself talking to the press at the premiere and he’s literally said “don’t get me wrong, I love Natalie, but she has been forbidden to come by her manager because it wouldn’t be good to her image” with a face of “and I’m not making any comment on it because saying something negative about her wouldn’t be polite”.

Don’t know what’s happening, Bardem wasn’t there too but her brother was and he said he couldn’t come because he was filmming in Colombia. Colombia is quite far away but a trip from London to Madrid doesn’t take so much time, it’s quite weird.

I really can’t work this out. That first quote makes it sound like Nat (and/or her people) doesn’t want to associate herself with the film. It can’t be because its just a bad film as actors are obligated to support a film regardless. And there’s no way it’s half as bad as the Star Wars films or WHTI or Free Zone etc.

I think we’re missing a big piece of this puzzle.

On a brighter note, Veggiegal found a positive (and spoiler filled) review from Screen Daily.

So strange…

• Eastwood says:

Really weird… seems like a conflict over money or something.

• Jenski says:

It’s possible they didn’t want her there in case it was like Cannes, when Marie Antoinnette opened. She’s an American playing a Spaniard in a film about the most revered Spanish artist in history. Perhaps they wanted to get a feel for the situation before letting her go. Perhaps she’ll show at one of the other two premieres.

• Seyo says:

Really, really ,really weird……but that know just Natalie…

• fanatical610 says:

I can’t see her not going cause the film’s bad either. Nothing can be as bad those Star Wars films and she went to the premieres for all three. There must be some miscommunication between Milos Foreman and Natalie but I think it will destroy whatever relationship Natalie built with him as he doesn’t seem very pleased about her not attending without a clear, valid reason. Again that’s another thing, with communication as good as it is in our world today why is there any miscommunication at all?

• minimaggit says:

Perhaps they just don’t get along, who knows?

Nothing to care too much about of course but very weird, indeed.

• Sak says:

Something like this is totaly inconsistent with Nat’s way of thinking. She always supports her movies and never insults anybody. So i’m sure there is both some sort of miscommunication and a piece of the story we don’t know.

• life_is_a_cereal says:

I’m getting really, really worried about this film. It’s just fucking weird. Is it a personal thing, the movie sucks, or what? It’s just strange.

• Jenski says:

It’s not the quality of the film that’s the problem. And Forman said that working on GG was the best experience he’s ever had. And he obviously knows why she didn’t go. He just doesn’t want to tell the press; perhaps he doesn’t feel it’s his place, or perhaps he doesn’t feel it’s that big a deal.

That’s just the reporter’s opinion so…

• minimaggit says:

Natalie has always seemed to be one of those people whom everybody would love (socially I mean) and at least from my experience those people don’t really exist, everybody have someone who they have problems with, sometimes just because the chemistry isn’t right, they just can’t connect. And movie sets are kind of the worst place for that kind of tension if it’s among the main people where everything is about communication.

If that’s the case between Forman and Nat, that at least would
    explain the little bit of resentment that you can read from Forman’s comments.

Why she isn’t on her own movie’s premiere is yet strange. Could it be that her relation with spanish media is just that bad?

• Garcy says:

Personally, I think everyone’s making too big a deal out of this.

• veggiegal says:

I hope that people have read the positive review in Screen Daily. The Spanish dubbed version is inferior to the English language original. And Bardem couldn’t go the premiere because of a tight shooting schedule in Colombia. However, his mother and brother (who has a small part in the film) were there. I don’t know what happened with Natalie. It is a bit strange but I am not going to worry about it. I am very much looking forward to seeing the film when it is finally released in the US.

• knowme says:

This is bad…..Forman sounds very insulted…..this is very, very bad…..