3 strikes

By May 11, 2007Site-news

Evening

So let’s talk Mathilda. For those who don’t know, I have been trying to develop a Mathilda comic for a year and a half. Those who have been regular visitors to the site will remember that Matt, the current NP.comic artist, was the first. Then came Hector, the ex Marvel man. And most recently there was Steven. Once again, things have sorta imploded and I felt it was about time to let you all know the situation.

The first blow was the fact that Steven got an unexpected oppertunity to continue his studies, which straight away slashed the amount of time available. But I really felt he was the right guy and didn’t want to go back to the drawing board. Besides, I was in no rush as long as there was some forward momentum. Then a couple months back he told me that he would need to ask for $75 per page to continue on the project.

I looked into enhancing the little revenue we have on the site (see the graphical ads we had a week or so ago) and eventually told him that if he could lower his prices a bit I would try to make it happen. Well, I never got a reply to that email and its probably for the best because I actually don’t think I could sustain paying a large amount like that over a period of time.

I understand why Steven needed to take that oppertunity and I also accept that the quality of work demanded a quality fee. But I am a bit annoyed at being jerked around once again.

Just so you guys have something to chew on, here is the teaser poster from Christmas and here is a brief look at where the actual comic was heading.

So, once again, I’m back to square one and truth be told, I’m not really sure whether to pack it in or keep plugging on. I think I’m going to adopt a stance somewhere between those two positions.

If the right artist contacts me and is willing to do the job for a fee that I find acceptable, then I will happily jump in again. But I’m not stressing about it anymore. It either happens or it doesn’t. Either way, life goes on.

And so does this update.

In other site news, next week we should have the forum ready. So you can begin planning out all those “Dazza sucks” posts in the meantime.

I’m also going to be adding all the links to the new galleries into the image section. It’s a lot trickier than actually creating the galleries but I’m working it out and they should be up to speed by the end of next week.

And finally, Pasha has added even better quality promo pics to the My Blueberry Nights gallery.

I’ll be back tomorrow with a new poll.

Till then, have a good one.

• henrik says:

i think someone certain is going to be very thrilled about the forum. 😉
    hint: “down under”

I think Clone needs to be restricted to one thread.

• henrik says:

i meant jen (but more in a normal positive way – she comments on like every news) but yes, clone should be restricted. well, i’ll go further with my opinion and say he shouldn’t be allowed to post. he brings too much negative stuff into every each post…
    agh, he is just annoying. but that’s just my 0,02 euros. 😛

it’s like with some guy on the aqmb a while back.
    (by the way:i will never understand why it took them like 6 months to ban him.)

• Claudia says:

right, and maybe add an auto-correction/dictionary function to the forum too.

That teaser poster from christmas was really something else. amazing… bloody and scary, but amazing.

• quick_wit says:

or you could just give him a section ‘coz I don’t think you can stop him from posting all over the place in every thread that has nat in it.

at least this would suppress his stalker tendencies….hehehe….

just joking *pokes at clone*

and I hope the forum is about what it is intended to be not some weird rants like, if dazza is human…

• plop says:

Dazza, sorry for the news about Mathilda comic.
    And… I wasn´t thinking on “Dazza sucks” post. Never the less, I wonder if in the forum, or at least in one of them, would be possible to develop sort of personal chats with others visitors, even if not relating with the theme of the forum.

• _Anyathe says:

This project really has been whacked with the unlucky stick. Go you for perseverence, Dazza.

• SKYWALKER says:

yes nice pics….;)

• JenR1215 says:

The new Entertainment Weekly mag, has a tiny little article about Paris Je T’aime.

The movie made a A- thats REALLY good. Especially for the type that is. I was worried about that, form some of the reviews.

I wish i could see the movie and not just bits and pieces off YouTube. It kinda takes a lot away from the movie. Unless theres a particular scene you’ve been wanting to see. Like with me, I wanted to see Nat’s, Gaspard’s, and Maggie G’s. I was disappointed by Gaspard’s, but i still love’em. I still haven’t got the chance to see Maggie’s.

If there are any Maggie Gyllenhaal fans out there, and know where i can find her scene, please let me know. I’d greatly appreciate it.

I may scan the little article tomorrow. I havent decided yet. All i cared to see on it was the “A-” that looked beautiful. 🙂 lol

• N-a-t says:

Incant wait to see the forum…:)

• pyper says:

I don’t know if this helps much, but I am a pretty decent artist. I’m not exactly sure what you’re looking for, but perhaps we can get in touch? I love this site and Natalie that I’d be willing to do it for free, the comic stuff.

Pyper, you’re welcome to email me with some examples of your work. This goes for everyone.

• clone says:

what do you mean.

Anyway its mothers day here, and I bought my mother a lottery and a plate with a mothers day message on it. I wonder what natalie got her mother.

• jean says:

Great pictures!!! Je dois dire que je suis sur le c**!! bravo a l’artiste!!!

Hey Jean, you are the Jean who regularly sends in fanart, right? Have you ever done serialized comic work?

• jayde_darklighter says:

DAZZA ROX MY SOCK DRAWER… which contains other things:P you dont suck man.. it really sucks that people keep jerking you around. Id do it but between work and uni i have no time anymore. My portfolio died anout a year and a half ago when i finished highschool… been drawing a bit recently but not enough to get back to the types of drawings i was producing back then.

• jean says:

never!! i’m so bad to invent history, and make a regular work 😉 (sorry for my bad english…)

• AProfessional says:

Dazza… be patient, buddy. I’m sure that with your hard work, talent, and dedication to this site, Mathilda WILL happen someday. Keep your chin up.

“The darkest hour of night came just before dawn.”
    – Paulo Coehlo, The Alchemist

Ok, fair enough. The language issue would have been a problem anyway.

I’ve had some potential good news regarding the project but will have to see how it pans out before doing cartwheels.

• Sak says:

Pity. The project is so promising. Anyway, hope dies last.