Natalie Portman and the Dress of Doom

By May 17, 2008Site-news

Hey guys

It’s been a couple days since we’ve seen any new pictures of Natalie in Cannes but that ends now with two new sets.

The first is of Natalie arriving at a nightclub and the second is a red carpet appearance for today’s premiere of Indiana Jones. Thanks to Pasha, Marina, Cherryvanilla, Mike, Terminator, Palpatine and Harper.

Click images for the galleries.

Now, there’s a bit of a debate over on the forums about her look for Indiana Jones. A lot of people seem to love it but personally I think the dress is unflattering and the makeup is even worse. So, I think its time for…

…a new poll.

Here’s what everyone thought of her opening night dress:

What do you think of Natalie’s red carpet look at Cannes?

Breathtaking. Perfection. 62.5% (270 votes)

It was okay. 17.59% (76 votes)

Love everything from the neck up. 14.81% (64 votes)

Love everything from the neck down. 3.24% (14 votes)

Hated it. 1.39% (6 votes)

I’ll be back with more soon.

• knowme says:

Well the makeup especially the lips is too much, but I think the dress is lovely! And Alexandra Maria Lara looks beautiful and fresh as always. 🙂

• Lanie says:

The lipstick is too strong, but I actually like the dress. It’s not weird and frilly and a sack like the regular stuff she wears.

I’m perplexed by the hate on this dress. It’s simple and classy, as is her hair and makeup. I don’t see how it’s any less flattering than that purple ruffled clown get-up and frizzy looking hair was earlier.

The hair isn’t actually too bad in isolation, but its hard to block out the frumpy dress and Xtina lipstick. I usually prefer simple dressed but for me, this is a total eye sore. The purple dress made her pop.

I guess thats opinions for you.

Frumpy is how I would describe 90% of her outfits, but this isn’t really one of them. Granted it would look better on someone with a more curvy figure, but still. I guess our definitions are different. I’m just glad it’s not some lumpy sack completely wrong for her figure with poorly-place poofs and ruffles and tulle scattered around randomly that she seems to favor.

Looking at the hi-res pics, the makeup is rather garish up close. Glitter, Natalie? Glitter?

• leia padme says:

She just looks incredibly beautiful in everything. I agree – it’s a classy dress, especially in that photo where she is walking with the other two female members of the jury and a guy is putting up his hands as if to stop them from coming further – In that photo you can see the way the dress moves and it’s a gorgeous thing – I also agree the lipstick is a bit too – orangey-red but all I see is the beauty of her face. She could wear chartreuse lipstick and still be stunning.

• Pasha says:

Sorry plop, I couldn’t approve your comment because the link was stretching the page.

I don’t think the dress is awful, I think it would have been beautiful on a curvier woman, but it just fits her wrong. The ruching makes it seem like its too big for her and accentuates the fact that her waist isn’t that well defined (relatively speaking). I liked the purple better because it defined her waist and flared out. Plus, I did just like the dress. Tastes vary.

• Pasha says:

Oh yeah, and I do agree that she almost always wears loose-fitting clothes that do nothing for her figure.

• Jenski says:

I agree that the dress doesn’t flatter her waist much. I love the top though. I think she should’ve done something with her hair and the lipstick is too much.

Is it just me or has she been dressing a little older lately?

• plop says:

Well, i will try without any link. I think that the dress is more than ok, as well the hair. Now the MAKE UP IS ALL WRONG.

I don’t remember the ironic “theory” that i presented in that comment. But that make up was almost scary, like a gothic stylished vampiress… or Mississ Adam

• Pasha says:

The make-up is really pretty scary in the HQ face shots.

• Lanie says:

The lipstick looks all off, not just the color, but the application. I am boggled. Doesn’t someone do her makeup for her?

Red lipstick has a place… not with the eyeshadow colors and the navy blue dress! Even a muted red would have looked good, but fire engine red? Nooo! And what’s with the dark nail polish?

Agreed, Lanie. She needs to hire a stylist and a makeup artist or fire the ones she has now.

I absolutely adore the dress actually, I think it’s gorgeous, and probably one of my favorites among the dresses she’s worn in the past. But that could be because I like that style. I agree with everyone who said it’s a very classy look. It’s understated in a good way, no flashy colors or lots of bows or too much lace or too much skin. I think the dress is very elegant and I LOVE how it flows. I don’t necessarily think it looks too big on her either. But oh well, that’s just me. It’s not her fault that she’s so small.

The makeup though…not her best look. Red lips do NOT look good on her. I think for me, I would say one of the best dresses ever, but one of the worst makeup choices ever. I just keep wanting to grap a tissue and have her dab off most of that lipstick and some of the blush! The eyes aren’t too bad. She doesn’t need all of that makeup…she is beautiful without it! Probably moreso than with it! 🙂 Her hair looks nice, but it seems she’s lightned it up again. While the color is pretty, I think she looks better with darker hair.