the horror, the horror

By August 5, 2008Nat-news

There is a new Natalie film rumour that is way out of left field. According to Bloody-Disgusting Natalie’s new production company, Handsome Charlie Films, will be producing a remake of the classic 70’s Dario Argento horror, Suspiria. Not only that but Natalie will be starring.

Director and writer, David Gordon Green (All The Real Girls, Pineapple Express), is attached.

At this point it is just a rumour and I’m hoping to get confirmation a bit later.

Here is a brief description of the plot:

“In Dario Argento’s original a young American dancer travels to Europe to join a famous ballet school. As she arrives, the camera turns to another young woman, who appears to be fleeing from the school. She returns to her apartment where she is gruesomely murdered by a hideous creature. Meanwhile, the young American is trying to settle in at the ballet school, but hears strange noises and is troubled by bizarre occurrences. She eventually discovers that the school is merely a front for a much more sinister organization.”

I’ve certainly heard of Suspiria but haven’t seen it myself. Personally, I’m quite skeptical about this rumour but let’s look at why it might be true and why it might not.

AGAINST

– Would Charlie be proud? – Handsome Charlie Films’ mission statement was to develop socially responsible films. I’m not so sure Suspiria really fits the bill.

– Natalie has never done horror – I could see her in something psychological but I have a hard time imagining her starring in a real blood and guts horror, which Suspiria sounds like it is.

FOR

– Suspiria is a horror classic – Village Voice named it the 100th greatest film of the 20th century. EW ranked it the 18th scariest film of all time. Two Saturn Film awards.

– David Gordon Green – Green is one of the most interesting and respected filmmakers right now. I’ve only seen Undertow and All The Real Girls, but both were absolutely fascinating. His other two films, George Washington and Snow Angels have also received plenty of adoration. This weekend he breaks out of the arty indie game by directing the stoner comedy, The Pineapple Express.

– Natalie has never done a horror – Yes she has!

UPDATE

The rumour is not true.

• vaio123 says:

Isn’t there a quote where she said she would never ever take part in a horror film?

There could very well be. Anyone out there with a good memory?

• Carlotto says:

The makeup man from Goya’s Ghosts should have won an Oscar for having managed to make Natalie ugly.

• plop says:

I remember an interview… in a spanish magazine -so almost surely they were quoting- in wich she said that horror movies had never interested her, as audience or as an actor.

And she wasn’t going to smoke, nor move to LA, nor… that is what scares me.

Is actually Goya’s Ghost a horror movie? Her first character lives there a horrible experience. Both of them for that matter, but then, “The Name Of The Rose” is also a horror movie? I disagree.

It was a joke due to the way she looked and the quality of the film.

• imakemloose69 says:

OMFG!!!! SUSPIRIA is my all time favorite horror movie!!! I own all of Dario Argento’s films as well as his sexy daughter Asia Argento.

If this is true I am so up for this. I wish she gets the lead to play Suzy.

I was dreading this day to come for a remake for such a classic but if Nat is involed im up for it.

• thevoid99 says:

I’m not a fan of horror remakes either. Yet, a remake of a Dario Argento classic to helmed by David Gordon Green might not be a bad idea.

Green is considered to be one of American cinema’s finest young directors with films like “George Washington”, “All The Real Girls”, “Undertow”, and “Snow Angels”. Right now, he just did his first mainstream picture in “Pineapple Express” for Judd Apatow and it’s getting very good reviews. Green is definitely talented and knows how to work with actors.

Whether Natalie will do it or not. Working with Green will be great since it’s going to give her more cred while Green will get work with one of the best actresses ever. I’d rather have them work together on something more personal.

I’m for it. I want to see her do something different.

• Teo says:

I would love to see her do a Hitchcock-like horror movie, that’s based on suspense rather than blood.