There is a new Natalie film rumour that is way out of left field. According to Bloody-Disgusting Natalie’s new production company, Handsome Charlie Films, will be producing a remake of the classic 70’s Dario Argento horror, Suspiria. Not only that but Natalie will be starring.
Director and writer, David Gordon Green (All The Real Girls, Pineapple Express), is attached.
At this point it is just a rumour and I’m hoping to get confirmation a bit later.
Here is a brief description of the plot:
“In Dario Argento’s original a young American dancer travels to Europe to join a famous ballet school. As she arrives, the camera turns to another young woman, who appears to be fleeing from the school. She returns to her apartment where she is gruesomely murdered by a hideous creature. Meanwhile, the young American is trying to settle in at the ballet school, but hears strange noises and is troubled by bizarre occurrences. She eventually discovers that the school is merely a front for a much more sinister organization.”
I’ve certainly heard of Suspiria but haven’t seen it myself. Personally, I’m quite skeptical about this rumour but let’s look at why it might be true and why it might not.
– Would Charlie be proud? – Handsome Charlie Films’ mission statement was to develop socially responsible films. I’m not so sure Suspiria really fits the bill.
– Natalie has never done horror – I could see her in something psychological but I have a hard time imagining her starring in a real blood and guts horror, which Suspiria sounds like it is.
– Suspiria is a horror classic – Village Voice named it the 100th greatest film of the 20th century. EW ranked it the 18th scariest film of all time. Two Saturn Film awards.
– David Gordon Green – Green is one of the most interesting and respected filmmakers right now. I’ve only seen Undertow and All The Real Girls, but both were absolutely fascinating. His other two films, George Washington and Snow Angels have also received plenty of adoration. This weekend he breaks out of the arty indie game by directing the stoner comedy, The Pineapple Express.
– Natalie has never done a horror – Yes she has!
The rumour is not true.