Garden State smooches

By August 21, 2008Nat-news

Hollywood.com has put together a pretty awful Top 10 Steamy Movie Kisses list. Is the kiss in Hitch really one for the ages?!

At number 7 on the list is the rain kiss from Garden State. This is what they have to say:

Tragic moments allow people to let their guard down and often tend to bring them together. And when it happens in the middle of a rain storm, it actually makes it all so much more romantic–i.e., they’re so “in the moment” they don’t even notice the downpour. This is something everyone should experience at some point in life. Not just the movie people!

Personally, even though that kiss was set up as THE defining moment of the film, I’ve always disliked it a little. Not a lot, just a little.

Maybe its because of how staged it feels. Maybe its the abyss scream. Or maybe its just the awkwardness of the 3rd wheel.

In fact, I think I like every other kiss in the film more than I do that one.

My favourite kiss is probably the one in the bath tub. There’s genuine emotion and intimacy, making it feel like a real glimpse into life as opposed to the rain kiss where I was basically waiting for “aaaand cut!”.

Bonus points for kissing his nose.

This kiss is also great because not only is it a really sad moment featuring one of Natalie’s better cries, it also captures a very real moment. When (and this is from memory as I can’t find my copy) Natalie tries to kiss him and make him stay he initially pulls away but does so a bit too early. As he realizes this he goes in for the kiss too late and ends up kissing her, bonus point time, on the nose. I’m not sure if that was intentional or a happy accident but its a lovely mirrored payoff to the bath tub scene.

Okay, this kiss is just as much of a typical movie moment as the rain kiss but the song is so good and fits so perfectly that I can’t help but love it.

But of course, the very best kiss in Garden State, without a shadow of a doubt, is…

Hot stuff!

😉

• Mockingbird says:

I hated that kiss in the film because I felt so awkward for Mark (I think that was his name-the Peter Sarsgaard character). Poor third wheel guy.

• Teo says:

I don’t care for Garden State, but I agree with the choices for Bridget Jones, Never been kissed and Titanic.

I loved the whole scene in the bathtub.

• Rafael28 says:

The bath tub scene was the best, really powerfull stuff.

I love the kiss on the steps in the airport before Large leaves. But I like the tractor one too. I too think it was odd to have Peter Sarsgaard’s character there. But I’m a sucker for rain kisses.

Me back again…should have gone and looked at the list before writing.

I LOVED the Never Been Kissed kiss. I almost think THAT should be number one! The Harry Potter one was very sweet. Who could argue with the Titanic one? And I’m not surprised about the Spiderman one…VERY original, AND in the rain!

Okay, a very badly reviewed and obscure movie that I LOVE and probably most people think is AWFUL is “Great Expectations” with Gwynth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke. They have this amazing kiss in the rain. At least I think so anyway. The first time I saw the movie, it was totally unexpected. As was the Garden State rain one. I’m such a huge romantic sap.

I agree with you Dazza…ALL of the kisses in Garden State movie were wonderful! 🙂 But I guess I’m biased b/c it is in my top 3 choices of favorite movies.

Hahaha! Somebody PLEASE shut me up! The LAST ONE, I PROMISE!!! At the beginning of Great Expectations (if ANYONE at all has seen it), the kiss between young Finn and young Estella is extremely cute yet sensual…another I’d put on my list!

Yeah, the kids kiss in Expectations is very good.

Yay! I’m glad you agree Dazza! 🙂

• nimbuschick says:

Yeah her head was like a Pez dispenser in that kiss.

The kiss in the airport at the end was great because the happy accident with the door (the janitor who wasn’t planned opened the door and it was perfect to frame them in white light).

I also like the little “I don’t want you to go” kisses.

• imakemloose69 says:

I could not agree any more with you on all the kissing scenes.

• PRINCETON284 says:

Haha I ended up really liking this. At first, I was in total and complete opposition to your statement against the GS Rain Kiss. I was thinking: “Woah! ANY movie with Natalie in it and ANY kiss she is involved in is nothing but PERFECT. How dare you?! ” Then I read on and realized I totally agree haha. Either way, I could watch that movie on loop and never get tired of it. Actually, I did. 😛