We Are Go For Zombies

By December 10, 2009Nat-news

It was just a few days ago that I reported about the ‘Pride And Prejudice And Zombies’ project possibly getting the miniseries treatment. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that the miniseries rumour was total BS.

Well, it certainly was because Variety have the announcement that the film adaptation is happening with Natalie starring as the feisty Elizabeth Bennet and producing.

Portman will star in and produce “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies,” a film that is based on the bestselling book written by Seth Grahame-Smith and Austen. Lionsgate will finance and distribute. Quirk Books published the tome.

Portman will produce through her handsomecharlie shingle with Annette Savitch, plus Darko Films’ Richard Kelly, Sean McKittrick and Ted Hamm.

This project is one I am damn curious about, although I’m not sure I would go as far as to say “excited”. I’m struggling to imagine the tone – is it pretty much a comedy or do they play it straight but with zombies?

For me it will all come down to who they get to direct. If it was, for example, Edgar Wright, I would be over the moon and very hopeful.

Until then, in my mind, it could be ridiculous or ridiculously awesome.

I’ll give the final word to Natalie’s producing partner.

“Natalie and I are longtime passionate fans of Jane Austen’s books and this a fresh, fun and thought-provoking way to approach her work,” Savitch said. “The idea of zombies running rampant in 19th Century England may sound odd, but it lends a modern sense of urgency to a well known love story.”

• amo says:

also, whacky shit is the only way i can tolerate natalie’s crappy english accent in the future.

That’s a real downside. Not the accent, which has never really bothered me, but all the attention it gets.

• amo says:

well, as an english person, it bothers me ALL the time when ppl hate on British accents (imho it’s usually a snobbery issue – ffs Renee Zellweger was FANTASTIC as Bridget), but i happen to think nat’s is rubbish. not that it matters – i always work backwards from “i love natalie” :p loving her but hating the accent has probably loosened up my thinking on the subject.

I remember speaking to Fanatical, who is also a Brit resident, and she thought that the accent was pretty good in V and (imagine with an English accent) “spot on” for Boleyn. So, if some English think its a good accent that surely it can’t be that bad.

But personally, accents very rarely bother me.

• Carlotto says:

Of course I am far from being an expert in english accents; but her accent in V For Vendetta sounds ok to me.

I love the “SHUT UP! I don’t want to hear your lies!” part

• velutLuna says:

Honestly, I’m more concerned with the sure-to-come comparisons to Keira Knightley, although I think to compare the actual P&P to P&P&Z would be slightly ridiculous…

• MrDelicious says:

Always sounded fine to me, but I’m a poor judge as english isn’t my first language.

In other news… this does sounds pretty goddamn awesome, but like dazza mentioned, only if directed by a person who “gets” it.

• viona says:

Dunno what to say, it’s going to be compared with Keira’s amazing performance in P&P (at least that’s what I read in most review). Again the accent would be the target.

• saucyinterloper says:

Yay, I’m so excited! Maybe she’ll do “Sense and Sensability and Seamonsters” too.