Golden Globes

By December 15, 2009Nat-news

The nominations for the Golden Globes were announced today and unfortunately Natalie didn’t nab her third nomination. There’s zero chance she’ll get some Oscar love now but a good solid performance this year might help out if she delivers something special next year.

It’s still pretty good news for Brothers though, the film managed to get Tobey a nomination as well as the obligatory U2 nomination for Best Song.

• Nannina says:

Her chances are sizably diminished yes, but the Globes and the Oscars are different so I wouldn’t say zero chance (I have a feeling Nine will be featuring less prominently when Oscar season rolls around, and I’m not sure about Avatar either). Sometimes a Globe winner isn’t even nominated for the Oscar, or vice-versa. You never know.

Seriously? No nom for Nick Hornby’s Screenplay for An Education? And nothing at all for Bright Star? At least they got Kathryn Bigelow for Hurt Locker.

It would have to come out of nowhere. I’m sure there must be some recent examples but I can’t really think of any. The Globes love stars and with the extra slots available because of the drama/comedy split, I figured it was her best shot.

Would love to be proven wrong though.

• Nannina says:

True, but supporting categories aren’t divided into drama and comedy, so there’s more of a chance there of someone being nominated for an Oscar without getting nominated for a Globe. Alan Arkin won for Little Miss Sunshine at the Oscars and wasn’t nominated at the Globes… it’s rare sure, but it happens. That said Natalie is now a very very dark horse.

• rockla says:

yes i was a little upset for her. also Bailee got a nomination for a Critics choice award, but not Natalie 🙁
    I think that they are all so proud of the project anyway, that they are not too concerned about receiving credit for it. I do like to see Natalie appreciated with awards though, plus we get to see her all dressed up on the red carpet 🙂

Nannina, its not so much the Globes not giving her a nomination but rather being wholly absent from the awards season thus far. Alan Arkin was skipped over by the Globes but that was a shock and he won and was nominated for a ton of other awards leading up to the Oscars.

I’m sure there must be some examples of someone not getting any love until Oscar time but I’ll be damned if I can think of any.

• Jenski says:

I’m glad she didn’t; there wouldn’t have been any real popular or critical support for the nomination – she’d have been one of those nominees everyone complains shouldn’t have been nominated.

Better that she churn out solid performance after solid performance and never get recognized and have people bitch about THAT.

I thought Tobey was a little much in Brothers, jmo.

• Eritae says:

Plenty of people have won Oscars without even being nominated for the Globes. The real telling block will be the SAG award nominations, seeing as how actors are the largest voting block of the Academy (not everyone in SAG is in the Academy, but everyone in the actor’s branch of the Academy is in SAG). If she doesn’t get nominated for a SAG, it’s about a 90% chance she won’t get nominated for an Oscar.

• amo says:

but then sometimes the globes are *so* shallow, that they leave off brilliant/ showy stuff that you might otherwise expect to see on the list (& that then does get nommed for oscars). 2 nominations is pretty lame for such a starry (and young!), prestigy, auteury film. makes me think the distributor could’ve wined and dined the hfpa harder.