Natalie Talks Film And Dior

By December 10, 2010Nat-news

Garcy found a really fantastic interview with Natalie over at WWD. In it she talks a lot about her career, from acting to producing to directing and writing. She even drops the tidbit that her last dog, Charlie, was named after Charlie Chaplin. I don’t recall having heard that one before.

Most interesting are her comments about Dior. There were quite a few people who thought that she had sold out and betrayed her own beliefs, but reading Natalie’s quotes on the matter, you can think she sold out but she certainly believes in her decision to work with Dior.

“I guess I always want to think about what I’m doing,” she continued. “There’s always some sort of combination between being thoughtful, and also having fun. And being thoughtful, sometimes you can argue two ways for the same cause, as you know. It definitely was a war inside my head for a long time and, finally, I was like, we can actually do something very positive with this, especially given the kind of company Dior is, which is truly elegant. It’s been exactly along the lines of what I had hoped for. I’m happy creatively; I’m happy with the images and the way I’m being portrayed, and their support of these various causes that are dear to my heart.”

Read the rest, which includes how Dior made their shoes for Natalie without leather or animal products, and confirmation that Sofia Coppola directed the TV ads, which launch, along with the print ads, in March.

• nephi says:

Natalie at her best! Really nice interview

• Jenski says:

I wish people would stop being so insufferable about perfume ads and the like. Actors that do mostly small films, like Natalie does, are idiots if they don’t take these deals.

“SHE BETRAYED HER BELIEFS.” It’s perfume, people. She ain’t eating meat.

I agree. If it’s a product or brand she likes, I don’t see what the big deal is with Natalie doing promotion for them.

• Chauster says:

Agree with Jenski…leave her alone

• natpfan1 says:

A perfume commercial can still be art. Given who the director is, we have nothing to worry about. And there’s no way it can be as bad as her old Japanese shampoo commercials.

• CC: says:

I think the Charlie Chaplin namesaking to the dog preWhiz was published here a few years back, also, isn’t that the name of Nat’s production company? Charlie Chaplin Films? She even did the cutest impression ever in The Professional. There is a real affinity imv.

• Jenski says:

Aw, I loved those shampoo ads! Especially the one where she fenced; complete crack.

The company is Handsomecharlie, named after her dog.

• CC: says:

@ Dazza: Are you saying that Charlie wasn’t named after Charlie Chaplin?

• Mockingbird says:

Great interview. From her words it seems that Dior were very generous to her charities of choice as part of her decision to sign whcih is cool. It’s always great to to see a celebrity use her status and endorsements for good 🙂