LOIP Becomes TOW

By December 14, 2010Nat-news

Love And Other Impossible Pursuits has been sitting on the shelf for about a year now, although it has gotten releases in some countries like Russia, Italy and France.

Well Americans will finally get the chance to see the film, although it will now be with the title The Other Woman. I’ve been meaning to sort out the filmography pages…I guess this gives me the push I needed. Here are the details from The Playlist.

The film will be available via On Demand starting on January 1st and it will get what we presume will be a very limited theatrical release on February 4th. And we would wager that the name change has been made so it won’t be confused with the Jake Gyllenhaal/Anne Hathaway vehicle “Love And Other Drugs.”

It will probably be on DVD before Thor lands, but its nice that its getting at least some kind of theatrical release.

• jenr1215 says:

well that’s dumb

• revrezner says:

Best buy stores are showing the Black swan trailer on there demo tv’s mixed in with other movies trailers. its every where its not fair lol.

This is unsurprising.

• #1NatPortfan says:

jenr1215 is right it’s dumb.How can you put a film On Demand and put it in limited theatrical release a month later,when there is a chance that many has already seen the film On Demand?How will they recover their money invested? The fact that it’s been on the shelf for a year has already been a loss of money for the company owner of the film.It would have been better if they put the film on theatrical release first,then On Demand and later on DvD.It’s seems they don’t have faith the film will gross profits enough to cover the losses.I hope to buy the DVD when it comes out.

• #1NatPortfan says:

“The Other Woman” What a ridiculous title.It’s like No Strings Attached which original title was Friends with Benefits which is the title of a film starring Mila Kunis and release next summer.These people have no originality.Why Natalie has to be the other person? For example:The Other Boleyn Girl and now The Other Woman.

• spoonbat says:

I’ll wait till it comes up on one of those free stream sites….

The theatrical release is probably going to be nothing more than a face saving measure for Natalie and a way to boost DVD sales (films that made it into theatres earn a lot more on DVD than those that do not). It is a bit weird to have the On Demand first, but perhaps they weren’t able to get the film into theatres until Feb and wanted the On Demand available earlier during this busy period for Natalie.

Or maybe they want to see if audiences take to the film via On Demand, before deciding how many theatres to make the release.

• Jenski says:

What is with all these “view it On Demand for it’s released in theaters” movies? They’ve done this with All Good Things, too.

Stupid title, btw.

They’re trying to adapt to a changing landscape. I presume there is data that shows it works for the bottom line.

I’ve been saying that I thought it would probably go direct to DVD b/c it’s been done for so long. :\ I’m still glad I’ll be able to see it in some way, shape for form, but yeah…dumb.

• jenr1215 says:

by the title change, this WILL BE on Lifetime movie network… a LOT.

It already seemed like a perfect fit for that network, tbh.