Actress Race

By December 29, 2010Nat-news

I’ve got a couple interesting takes on the Best Actress Oscar race today. The first is a really nicely researched article on Tribeca Film, which has some interesting details, chiefly the excerpt I’m posting below.

Many factors play into each acting competition at the Oscars, but in the Best Actress competition, age is a curiously crucial force. No other acting category is less diverse, statistically speaking. Over 50% of the 83 Best Actress wins to date have come from women between the ages of 25 and 34. The most common winning age is actually 29.

Guess who is 29 right now?

Then there’s a considerably less interesting article from EW, which tries to address whether being pregnant could hurt or help Natalie’s Oscar chances. As they point out, women have won while pregnant and women have lost. Doesn’t seem it will play much of a part if any.

• Ashmiester says:

YAY!
    You just made my day 🙂

• awiseone says:

Although I felt the writer tried to be fair I still feel he is in Annette’s camp.

Natalie hit a home run in “Black Swan”.

If what he says is true about ageism it may be because the meaty roles are written for younger actresses.

The Oscar is hers to lose, imo.

• awiseone says:

I waiting for her to get nominated before I comment on her chances.

• Jenski says:

What always annoys me about these articles is that they never point out ow it happens to the men too. Young actors don’t win. James Franco stands not a chance in hell. Neither does Ryan Gosling. Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey McGuire, Jake Gyllenhall and all the others will have to wait until they are at least in their 40s but it’s more likely they’ll be nominated in their 50s. Does.not.matter. about the performance.

Besides, those articles never point out how the best roles are usually written for actresses aged 30-40 and mostly just dump on young actresses.

I’m so sick of AB when it comes to the Oscars.

LOL, Jenski, that article actually does point out that for men its the reverse.

• Jenski says:

……Okay, so I didn’t read the article! But clearly I didn’t need to 😛

• PatrynXX says:

Or there’s Jennifer Connelly that was very scary thin after breaking up with someone and in a depression but won an Oscar for A Beautiful Mind. X_X don’t think she ever recovered her normal weight either. still look forward to pix of Jenn though.

• PatrynXX says:

Frankly the Oscars have been boring for years. The Golden Globes have been alot better in quality wins.. I hold awards as okay push to get someone to watch something but The Wrestler just was way too depressing ( although an aunt of mine won’t see black swan because it’s supposedly the most depressing film her friends have seen. (oh just wait till Rabbit Hole) Psychological Thriller’s aren’t really depressing. Wrong genre. Drama and tragedies are depressing. (The Pledge?? depressing!!!)

The only thing depressing is a bad film.