Oscar > baby

By March 1, 2011Nat-news

It never ceases to amaze me at the mental gymnastics that some are willing to do in order to fire themselves up to get angry at something. I actually like a good debate about things pertaining to Natalie, but sometimes you get an argument so ridiculous, all you can do is laugh.

I am talking about a new Salon article that took exception to Natalie suggesting that the best role of her life is going to be that of a mother, while diving her acceptance speech at the Oscars.

Personally, I’m kinda proud that Natalie has more important things in her life than the world of acting. That’s not to say that she takes it lightly, as everyone who works with her is quick to comment about how professional and hard working she is.

But I’m not even going to go into it, because Dana Loesch of Big Journalism already argued the Slate piece under the table.

Go give it a read.

• portfan says:

The article linked to corrected the piece to read Salon instead of Slate. As for the article itself, good on them for so pointedly taking issue with the diatribe of a lunatic. Anyone who can’t see the fleeting nature of fame look no further than any entertainment section of a newspaper. Alternately, one can look no further than a next door neighbour, friend or relative to see the profound and irreplaceable bond between a parent and a child.

• Ashmiester says:

I love Dana Loesch.

“Isn’t feminism all about choice? Oh, but the right kind of choice. If Williams believes that appreciation for children is somehow beneath women then she undercuts the very argument for which she seeks to advocate without realization. It’s comical.”

^ This, this, this, this, etc.

• L2P2 says:

Agree w the sentiments expressed here, but you are maligning a good webzine (Slate) that did NOT publish the article and failing to criticize the rag (Salon) that did.

Apologies. Garcy originally posted saying Salon and then corrected saying Slate and then erased that post. Should have read more carefully but its like a furnace today and I am freaking dying over here.

Pity, Sl-hate made a nice title 🙁

• biffyrules says:

these people need to get a grip. natalie has more important things, including her child.
    how immature of them

• nephi says:

Slate also Sl-hate Natalie so no harm done. After listening to that speech, I honestly could not predict a reaction like this. Some of these publications should just admit that they have a serious hate-on for Natalie and avoid posting about her because as you rightly said it’s laughable at this point.

I am glad to see someone defend her though. Girl can’t catch a break.

She was just so lovely, gracious and humble on Sunday. Congratulations Natalie!

People will pick apart Natalie no matter what she does or says. For example, people are complaining that she won’t stop talking about her pregnancy. Natalie isn’t just approaching random reporters saying “LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY PREGNANCY.” These are questions she’s being asked. If she were to say “No comment,” she would be labeled a bitch. She’s damned if she does, damned if she doesn’t.

• Garcy says:

Haha, sorry for the confusion. I can’t tell the difference between Salon and Slate anyway.

• natpfan1 says:

Dana Loesch is my new hero! lol

Can’t believe some people are that stupid.

• amo says:

The original article is dumb. By all means debate parenting vs professional work (which is the basics of what Williams is talking about), but what a weird angle. Could anything be less simple than contrasting an entertainer at the height of glitzy fame with being a judge?
    I actually think Nat’s comment (as a choice of topic) was dumb. I don’t like the way she’s let her personal life into her oscar campaign. But jees, it’s a terrible hook for Williams to hang her argument on.

• quick_wit says:

some people nowadays will hate on anything, no matter what you do, is there something in the air that seeps into their brain?

I’ve given up paying attention to her haters, even though she has her priorities straight, she’s STILL doing something wrong.