Box Office Update

By March 8, 2011Nat-news

The Black Swan DVD might be arriving soon, but the film is still hanging in at the box office. Three months (!!!) after release, the film still has the #15 spot on the charts and has just crossed the $105 million mark domestically. Overseas it’s doing even better, and should now have passed a further $150 million.

Last week Black Swan became 20th Century Fox’s highest grossing film of 2010, passing the new Narnia film. What makes this extra special is that it is the first time since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in 2000, that a film from a specialty division (in Black Swan’s case, Fox Searchlight) outgrossed everything from the parent studio.

Hopefully this means that we’ll be able to see a Black Swan 2: Electric Tutu before long 😉

• Ranbirman says:

Wow… BLACK SWAN is a BLOCKBUSTER!!!
    Black Swan is Natalie Portman’s 4th Highest Grossing Movie… 1st comes all 3 Star Wars movies… LOL…

HOW IS NO STRINGS ATTACHED DOING AT THE BOX-OFFICE???

Black Swan 2!! – NEVER… no sequels…

• kafinsmif says:

Oh God…

No Strings is actually below Black Swan now and looks to have run out of steam at the $70 million mark. Still a very nice success in its own rights.

• Garcy says:

It’s been almost 6 months since my first viewing of Black Swan at TIFF, and I’m so happily surprised at the level of success the film has received. I mean, seriously. Natalie’s Oscar-winning turn as Nina has to be the wildest and coolest Best Actress win ever. Mad props to Darren and everyone involved.

• DavidK says:

Daz, do you know how NSA is supposed to be doing in the UK? It stopped playing at my local theatre after just a few days, and when I went to see it elsewhere, it was being played in the smallest viewing room. I thought it was unusually awful, even for its genre.

Awesome! It’s hard to believe that it’s already been 4 months since I saw it.

Almost $1.6 million in the UK and $44 million total foreign so far.

• PatrynXX says:

Black Swan 2 would be like trying Taken 2. although better chance of a Taken 2 which some pegged Unknown as a sequel. not hardly. Unless someone has Taken natalie.