It’s been awhile since we talked about Pride And Prejudice And Zombies, but before we get to the update a super brief history of the project.
– Seth Grahame-Smith release the mashup novel, which takes Jane Austen’s Pride And Prejudice text and adds in zombie elements.
– Natalie comes on board to produce and star. David O’Russell is attached to write and direct.
– Russell writes a script but departs as director. Natalie bails on acting in it but remains on as a producer.
– Mike White is brought on to direct but leaves soon after, claiming scheduling problems.
– Craig Gillespie is next in the director’s chair while Marti Noxon does a rewrite of the script.
– Gillespie leaves the project and we still have no director or stars.
All of which leads us to Seth Grahame-Smith, who at one point was being considered as a potential director, talking about the project at Wondercon.
Here’s what Seth had to say…
“The status of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies right now is to be determined. I think there’s still a will at Lionsgate to do it. What I’m hoping is that Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter comes out, does well, and there’s more of an appetite for this kind of thing. But then again, Snow White and the Huntsman should come out and do well and that should renew an appetite for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I’m pretty confident that sooner or later that movie’s gonna see the light of day, frankly it’s just waiting for the right combination of director and star to come together.”
I think he’s onto something. Snow White and particularly Lincoln will probably be the litmus test. If they do well I wouldn’t be surprised to see this project finally and quickly gear into production.
But with Natalie not in it, it’s probably barely a curiosity for us Natalie fans at this stage. Right?