Aung San Suu Kyi

By April 10, 2012Nat-news

More warm fuzzy feeling news – the Burmese political figure, Aung San Suu Kyi, who has spent a large portion of her life under house arrest by the ruling regime, is being honoured by the Holocaust Memorial Museum. The event takes place on April 18th in Washington, and I’m talking about this on natalieportman.com because…drum roll please…

Natalie will be a speaker at the event, along with “Jacob Lew, the White House chief of staff; and Gerda Weissmann Klein, a Holocaust survivor”.

You can learn more about the event here and here.

• Adonis says:

Yes, “the Lady” has already suffered much in her life for a Free and Democratic Myanmar (Burma) and therefore deserves great respect – Aung San Suu Kyi, keep it up!
    And that Natalie will participate in this great political event, I find awesome, because as a great actress and great person like her, I think she just does the right things to draw attention to an oppressed country to create!

• PatrynXX says:

hoping the new leader of Burma doesn’t get hurt. took some risk running…

• whenpukedries says:

I hope this is a step in the direction of Natalie Portman, politician. The female Ronald Reagan except more liberal. I don’t know if continuing acting or even directing is going to be compelling enough for NP. Maybe Dazza could be campaign manager!

• Dazza says:

I can barely manage organizing my cornflakes in the morning.

• whenpukedries says:

OK, vice president.

• Nannina says:

Patryn, Aung San Suu Kyi isn’t the new leader of Burma. The government is still massively in the control of the military, what Suu Kyi has recently done is gotten elected into Parliment (as well as 40 other National League for Democracy party members). A huge step forward, but the military has 80% of the seats. When Aung San Suu Kyi was recently asked to rate how Democratic Burma is on a scale from 1-10 she replied “Approaching 1”. There still is a long way to go.

I have been hoping for years that Natalie would use her celebrity to promote awareness about the situation in Burma. I’m really happy to hear this.