Barb-Barb-Barb Barb-Barbarella

By May 7, 2012Nat-news

Shoe89 found one of the stranger Natalie film rumours in awhile. According to the Chicago Tribune, Natalie is being linked to a remake of Barbarella, the campy 60’s sci-fi film starring Jane Fonda.

That’s enough to send shivers down my spine, however, there are some directors that I think so highly of, that I’d always give the benefit of doubt. Sofia Coppola falls into that category for me and Sofia, who worked with Natalie on her Dior campaign, is apparently the filmmaker pulling all of this together.

Barbarella was originally a French avant garde comic book heroine. Paramount Pictures wants to jump into the comic book genre that has worked so well for Warner Bros. and Disney/Marvel. Coppola, turned on to the Barbarella character by French director Michel Gondry, thinks it is time for a “Barbarella” reboot. And she thinks Portman is just the girl to go flying into outer space, seducing the galaxies. (Jane’s characterization was rather innocent, despite the famous weightless striptease. Portman might be a less naive Barbarella.)

I think it’d be wise to keep the salt close by, but I’m going to try and see if there’s any truth to this. Until then, is this good news, bad news or to weird to even categorize?

• PatrynXX says:

After hearing about them remaking Robocop. figured Barberella was next and I see this X_X bad coincidence eek

• whenpukedries says:

Sofia Coppola is overrated…! Her movies look beautiful but lack substance beyond a cute, hipster POV. Marie Antoinette was very good though, IMO, perhaps because she had an established story to work with and period art, which may be what she’ll get with a remake of Barbarella. Keeping in mind the Jane Fonda movie was a flop.

• Dazza says:

There is nothing hipster about Sofia, but then again I find that word has been so overused that you could almost apply it to anyone.

Sofia is not heavy handed. If that is required for substance then sure, she doesn’t have that. Her films are more subtle. Her characters are all in crises, stuck, trying to work things out. But instead of coming up with the usual plot machinations to drive the character, she flips it so that the character is primary. What she does with visuals and music and the light approach on plot and dialogue, to me that’s more pure cinema and when it works, and it doesn’t always, it’s pretty damn spectacular.

Even when she fails I find there’s a lot to admire and appreciate.

• whenpukedries says:

All good points… I guess what irritates me most about her is that so many people think she’s so great, and I kinda think she’s ok, and that maybe if she were a man no one would notice, or if she wasn’t H’wood royalty maybe she never would have made it. Overrated, perhaps, is a word I should have used to describe Lost in Translation specifically. I actually heard basically the same praise that you gave for her from other people in regards to that movie. Marie Antoinette was her effort to move in a different direction, and I appreciated it. I watched parts of Somewhere, and I liked the dancer’s scenes for being cute and funny, but I stopped watching it because it was boring. “Our Idiot Brother” had better plot machinations! That movie seriously had the cutest ending I’ve seen in a long time.

• Dazza says:

The thing about Sofia is that she’s not for everyone. Personally, LIT is close to perfection for me. You talk about substance and depth, but in that one shot of Scarlett looking out her window at the world, or Bill trying to communicate with his wife over the phone while in the hot tub, for me those scenes and so many others in that film have so much weight and depth to them. But that’s art for you, can be moving to one person and to someone else it’s just Scarlett looking out of a window.

It’s funny that your favourite Sofia film is the film that Sofia got the most mixed reviews for, which may just point to your liking different kinds of films. And that’s fine, but I think it’s unfair to pin her success on her being a woman or having a famous dad and not even considering that it might just not be your kinda thing.

We’ll be having plenty of these conversations when Natalie’s Malick films come out, I’m sure.

• whenpukedries says:

AFA reverse sexism and nepotism all I was saying was maybe, but also probably. I think the essence of subtlety is that it gets a diverse reaction, and basically LIT was uniformly praised, perhaps not beyond its merits, but to a point that simply annoyed me. That being said, if Natalie were in it I would have loved it at the time.