Paris, I Love You

By January 24, 2013Featured-news, Nat-news

Natalie and Benjamin are moving to Paris. Natalie has always had strong feelings for France, probably starting from the womb where her parents likely played the French song that she is named after. Marrying a french guy meant that she’s spent even more time in the country and now it looks like they’re going to make that permanent. Well…as permanent as a home is for a celebrity who spends half the year traveling around.

Millepied will become the new director of the Paris Opera Ballet.
He said to the AFP that they will both move to Paris.
“I won’t come without my family; it’s a family choice”, he said. “It’s a chance for us to be able to live in Paris, because I’ve been living in New York for 20 years. We are both very happy.”
Asking about the impact on Natalie’s career, he said: “Her career is such that living in Paris won’t prevent her from working abroad. Also, there are very talented directors in Europe, so why not concentrating a part of our careers on European projects.”
He said they will start looking for a place to live “soon, because I will have to spend a lot of time there.”

More after the jump…

2014 is quite a ways off but it sounds like they’ll be settled long before then. This probably means a lot less candid photos, which is surely a good thing if you care about Natalie and her family. And if the plan is for Natalie to do more European films, well I’m thrilled with that idea.

Do you guys see this as good news or bad news? Or do you maybe thing it won’t make much difference?

Thanks to Morgan, Natnat and Kitten.

• Morgan says:

Yeah, it definitely means less candids, since the law here is much more protective of the privacy of celebrities.

I think it’s a good thing, but that”s only because I live in Paris, so maybe I’ll run into her 🙂

• Lee Bartholomew says:

less horrid candids. all the great pix are at events. at least for her. That and I love alot of french drama’s and comedies. (The Crimson Rivers) which is only on blu ray in france so I kinda had to use chrome to order that off amazon france. and my brother and dad know french. dad more so than anyone as he used to work for Bombardier (Ski Doo/Sea Doo among other things. ) although having natalie speak french will be about as fun (really) as my cousin trying to speak spanish. she did rather good) at her wedding. If I had a place in the world to live it’d probably be in Scotland out in the country somewhere. or helping Terry Pratchett write his books. 🙂 Albeit she’s moving to France while alot of Actors are leaving for Russia. (high high taxes)

• Marcella says:

For God’s sake, no!!! European movies? Oh no!!

• LH458 says:

“And if the plan is for Natalie to do more European films, well I’m thrilled with that idea. ”

For all the German Guys here…. I see Natalie Portman at “Tatort” in 2015 😀

• soywateratoms says:

Living in LA I kind of liked the idea of having her at such close proximity even if I’d probably never get to run in to her. I doubt the move to Paris will be permanent so I guess it’s okay. Plus I think she’ll stll some to the states for work.

• Açelya says:

I think it’s good, I’m sick and tired of these stupid hollywood movies, they are all the same.

• Stefan says:

European movie … Uhh … No Oscars, no paparazzis, no candids, no news … omg … O M G

@LH458
    Kannst Du es mal lassen ständig hier betrunken irgendwas zu posten?
    Wirft nur ein schlechtes Licht auf die Deutschen 😉

Means in english, he should stop post drunken 🙂

• Iktriad says:

I remember how many people said that Ben will have issues with all the fame Natalie will get. Well, his career is on pretty good pace too. Congrats to him.

• Adonis says:

Of course you can not compare Hollywood with European films – everyone knows that …
    But if Natalie would make a film in Europe, I would certainly not be disappointed.

• Stefan says:

Yes, but who makes good films in europe?
    I’m from germany and we have only crap movies!
    French films are … sort of strange.
    Spanish, italian and east-european movie I didn’t relly watcht.
    Only british movie are good – thats it from my point.
    But I really hope that I am wrong 🙂

• Nannina says:

More European films could be good could be bad. Her two European ventures include one of her very best (Leon) and the worst movie on her filmography (Goya’s Ghosts). So I’m not going to go yay Europe they’re so much better over there (we tend to get the best foreign films, they produce the same percentage of dreck that the US does we just don’t watch it). Still it might mean some interesting projects… Just so long as they don’t make her use an accent…

Don’t forget Paris, je t’aime. I know it was an anthology film, but it got some buzz and I loved the Tom Tykwer short she was featured in.

• Adonis says:

Who makes good films in Europe?
    Well, Luc Besson for example – and Natalie is now in France ….
    Maybe?

• AMSSERME says:

Well sooner or later it had to happened.I was wondering if Ben will be the new Director of the Paris Opera,What will happen to his LA ballet company he had created? Yes,Natalie going to Paris will mean the end of candids although she has been photographed in Paris before but not with the frequency like LA.And her doing films in Europe will mean that most of those film will not be seen here.How many european films are shown in America? Unless they are produced by an american studio or such film manages to appear as a possible Award nominee.Only in art houses will it be shown.We would have to wait for the DVD release to see it if such DVD is released to our DVD Player Region. So I consider it to be a bad Idea for Natalie to film european films,but ofcourse it would be interesting to see Natalie speaking french in a french movie.

• Narkel says:

There’s many actors living in Europe that barely did movies there, I think Natalie will continue making Hollywood movies and maybe in some rare situations she will make a couple of European films. It’s interesting to see the perception of people about their own cinema, in America (whole continent) we tend to believe European movies are great while we only have “blockbusters” and reading here from fellow Europeans you think the movies of your countries are really not that great. If she works in any European film I believe it will be positive, she is a well known actress and that immediately will catch the attention in America; in the past years many movies have been pretty successful considering they are not in the Hollywood standards, I think having A-List actors will help to close the boundaries between American and European cinema.

• Dazza says:

Most countries have their fare share of crap. I love South Korean films for example but again, I only watch the ones that break out and get buzz in the rest of the world. No doubt there are mountains of awful Korean films.

I’d love to see her work with Haneke or Jeunet or Audiard or Von Trier or Almodovar or Boyle…

But if we’re betting I’m putting my money on Natalie working with Woody Allen again in another European film. And that I can do without.

• MaeXtaSiA says:

FINALLY In my country ! Plus next to me ! 😀

But, ok French movies are sometimes really strange . But “The professional” was a French movie and it was one of her best in my opinion.

But in an other side, in french news will become such rare and for that I’m sad. . .

• Kris says:

As far as less paparazzi photos because of a move goes … all I have to say is Lady Di…

And it’s not like she is a Hollywood person and how many movies has she shot in LA, or even the states for that matter? Star Wars trilogy, Leon, Cold Mountain, Closer, Free Zone, Vendetta, Paris je t’aime, Goya’s Ghost, The Other Boleyn Girl, Your Highness – they were all filmed primarily outside the US, and that’s more than half her career right there! I just hope this will eventually lead to another Besson movie!

• Dazza says:

Yeah that’s a good point. Hell Thor 2 just filmed in Europe as well.

• Adonis says:

I hope so too !
    Because only the announcement that Luc Besson will shoot a movie with Natalie, (no matter what kind) is already a pre-programmed blockbuster …
    But what would it be for a cinema event when there would be a sequel to “Leon” …. probably “an absolute hit” of the year in the movie world.
    Too bad that such a great movie is still on ice.

• Dazza says:

Why would Besson directing Natalie be a blockbuster? The guy has only really had one big blockbuster level film and that was a decade and a half ago.

• Adonis says:

Because Luc Besson can make movies, and a good director always needs good actors, and Natalie is a top actress.
    And I believe, if it even comes to a collaboration, the odds are certainly very high for a blockbuster …

• Starprincess66 says:

I love france and i think living there will cause

• Starprincess66 says:

Let me finish: i love france and i think living there will cause peace and happiness. Especially for aleph. No more cameras in his face. And i looooove euro films. Especially french films. Ao id love to see her in french films. But honestly i will miss the candid photos and watching aleph grow up.

• Nannina says:

I have to agree that it is far more likely for Natalie to do Hollywood films that film in Europe (Tom Hanks and Nazis movie more likely now?) , but Natalie also did Free Zone so I wouldn’t say a small indie foreign film was out of the realm of possibility. Daz, I think you’re right about Woody Allen being a likely project except didn’t they not really see eye to eye on Everyone Says… Then again she was only 14. I’d love to see her work with Tom Tykwer again.

• Lars says:

Just wait till she finds out she has to pay 75% in income tax 😀 any she is closer to me now so that is nice.

• Laura says:

Lars : In case you don’t know this tax has been canceled 🙂 I’m happy for them ! France is a very beautiful and good country to live in …

• Lars says:

Laura :

French constitution atm. wont alov it. The current administration says they will change the law so they can make it 75% and since the French constitution is easy to change (not like the US) it wont be long 🙂

• mr.portman says:

a bit closer to me now

• Ina says:

I’m sad about her leaving. She grew up in New York, and now she lives in LA. I think it will be difficult for her since her parents are in the US and she has a production company – Charlie which is also based in the States. I don’t know, but I believe her staying in Paris for the long haul is kinda iffy.

• lenkaplenka says:

Paris is a beautiful city. I can say most beautiful in the world. I was there a few times. I think that this is won´t be bad for her. In Europe is lots of nice movies as well and most of her movies wasn´t film even in US but in Europe.
    And of course she will live closer to me :D… I´m from Prague still in Europe 😀

• lenkaplenka says:

sorry for my english :), it isńt good enough.