Rouge Video

By September 15, 2013Nat-news

Below we have a really nice video about the history of Rouge Dior, which has a short but cool Natalie appearance/mention towards the 2 minute mark. Thanks to Eden Liao for the find.

I have to say though, and this is something I’ve been wanting to bring up for awhile now, I think the styling and shots used in the new Rouge Dior campaign are quite poor. Surprisingly so, to the extend that I feel maybe I just don’t “get it”. It feels almost like a work of satire. For instance…

Is this really the best shot? What’s up with her hair?

Unflattering jeans. Looks like she’s just arriving to set.

Really not a great fit, from the waist up I’m okay with it though.

Ridiculous hair. Awkward pose.

Crazy hair. Awkward bag clutch. Poor product display.

The shot on the left almost works. Just can’t get over those jeans.

The only shot I actually like is the one on the right below. Not ruined by styling and jeans.

Simple but effective.

• Josh says:

The crazy colors in this video made me feel like I just ate some magic mushrooms lol.

I couldn’t agree with you more. There’s nothing really special about any of the shots and they don’t make me want to buy the product. To me they look amateurish and like they’re from the Sunday ad section of the newspaper paper from stores like Kohl’s or Sears. They look more like outtakes than something for the actual campaign. All this time I’ve felt like the only one who didn’t even find her looking very attractive in these shots, except the “simple” one you alluded to. I don’t know, maybe they’re supposed to be more like “Natalie in a natural environment,” but that doesn’t work with jarring red lipstick, caked on foundation, overly rosy cheeks, raccoon eyes, and a hairspray-laden unfinished hairstyle. I won’t even go into the clothes…you did fine with that all by yourself. 🙂 Sorry, just not a fan of this look.

• rryq says:

I have to admit that I watched this video only because of natalie.

• Nannina says:

I actually like the Jeans. I guess not so much as fashion, but because they look comfy. Some of the shots I think are great. I love the second one you complained about, but it’s best in black and white. It’s not the best shoot, but it’s not terrible. I thought the last perfume shoot with the slicked back hair and the hideous princess bubble dress was much worse.

• Jessica says:

I completely and totally agree with you. The new collection is supposed to show the progress Rouge Dior has made since its inception but the campaign does not look modern at all. To me it looks like a campaign from the 90s–and don’t get me wrong, there were *some* good things to come out of the 90s but this hair and makeup isn’t it. You’re right, most of the photos look like outtakes and when they first surfaced I was left wondering “But where are the real final shots?” Unfortunately I think this is all we’re gonna get.

• Teo says:

Having followed the site for a while now I have to say the best Natalie photoshoots are the ones that capture her real nature. The same with everyone really, we all look the best when we are styled and dressed the way that reveals our uniqueness. In my opinion she looks the best with shorter hair, more natural makeup, more flowy less structured clothes, pastels or bright happy colors. She just doesn’t have the bold nature to make black work or a very intense red lipstick. More like a cherry lipstick would work well on her. It’s obvious she feels this way too since she rarely wears red lipstick in her everyday life. So, yeah the campaign is very poor because it looks like they didn’t have a clear idea of what they wanted and they didn’t really see what she could bring to it.