Tidbits

By September 21, 2013Nat-news

A couple heavy hitting tidbits for you guys today.

– Starting with a really nice find by Adelaïde, who spotted a Knight Of Cups mention on this Facebook page.

TM’s production company is currently delivering reels for a mix on Knight of Cups.

Wow, that means that the film is just a sound mix away from complete. Surprise Christmas release! Okay, more like Sundance or Cannes 2014.

– The Hollywood Reporter polled agents, producers and execs as to which actresses get offered roles first and then who is normally second in line etc. They separate drama and comedy categories and found that Jennifer Lawrence was top in both. No real surprise given how hot she is right now, although it’s worth remembering that she’s only really fronted one drama, Winters Bone, and one comedy, Silver Linings Playbook (although you could toss this into the drama category as well).

Joint top of drama is Anne Hathaway, which is very strange considering she hasn’t really had many successful dramatic films. Third is Jessica Chastain who only does successful dramatic films. And then in 4th is Natalie.

Thanks to Maribel.

• Garcy says:

I can’t be the only person who is getting tired of Jennifer Lawrence.

• Narkel says:

I think, right now, that’s the only risk for Jennifer. She’s talented and people like her but she has to be careful of being overexposed.

• A. Rowe says:

I’m not surprised about those results one bit. When you cast for a dramatic film, you don’t necessarily look at the BO results but at the dependability of the actor you chose. That’s why Natalie is so high on the list despite (or because?) the many risks she takes that don’t always pays off.

You’ll notice that every names given are perenial favorites during award season.

• Dazza says:

True but I’m really struggling to think of many strong Anne Hathaway performances. Rachel Getting Married is my fav. She had one great song/scene in Les Mis. One Day and Love and Other Drugs aren’t going to make anybody take notice. What else is there? Her tiny role in Brokeback? Errr…Havoc?

Whereas in 3rd place Chastain has Tree Of Life, Zero Dark Thirty, Take Shelter, Corialanus, The Help, The Debt, Texas Killing Fields and if you wanna throw a horror in there – Mama. She’s very good to great in all of them and that’s just the last 2 years of work.

• Josh says:

Natalie should easily be above those other actresses in my opinion. Im sure im not the only one that feels that way either.

• Narkel says:

Good to see Natalie and Rooney, but that list is missing Saoirse Ronan and Mia Wasikowska. I like Jennifer Lawrence but I would take Saoirse and Mia, before her.

• Dazza says:

Yeah but if you were a producer? Probably not. Jennifer has acting buzz and mainstream buzz, which is pretty hard to beat. It’s a shame Natalie couldn’t take full advantage of her Oscar heat.

• Narkel says:

From the bussiness point of view, of course having Jennifer would be the best idea. Right now she’s the it girl, she’s talented and funny. But if I were a producer, yes I would choose Saoirse, Mia or any other girl. I would take a risk having someone “unknown” but talented just like they did with Lawrence in Winter’s Bone. A matter of taste I guess.

• katy says:

I like jennifer lawrance but im getting tired of her already, thats what happens with the it girl as for natalie she may not be number one but she is someone who is always stable

• Adelaïde says:

the only actress that shock me in that list is Rachel McAdams. She’s nowhere near Natalie Portman or Rooney Mara or any of the other actresses on that list or even actresses that are not in it.

• A. Rowe says:

I agree that Chastain is better than Hathaway but her BO appeal is very unproven. Other than ZDT, she wasn’t the lead in any of the films you mentionned.

Hathaway, on the other hand, has been the lead in most of her films (even if most of them have been comedies) and was also Catwoman, so the BO is there and she’s been good in most of her films, even the bad ones. I thought it was a little sad that Love and Other Drugs was so focussed on her nudity because her performance is very good in it.

And let’s not forget that Chastain is 5 years older, and that counts for some people.

• Dazza says:

She was the lead in Mama, she was joint lead in Take Shelter and The Debt. Could argue it for Tree Of Life as well. I agree that Anne has name recognition being around for so long and having roles in big films Batman, Prada…but when it comes to drama I think Chastain is more accomplished and her films have performed better than Hathaway’s dramas.

One Day was a real commercially aimed drama and it was sold on her shoulders, yet it made the same amount as Tree Of Life, one of the most challenging films in recent years.

I just don’t think that people, even though they know her, are thinking to themselves “I really want to see the next Anne Hathaway film”. Mainstream filmgoers certainly aren’t saying that about Jessica either, but she always delivers and that would sway me as a producer.

• Arrow says:

I wouldn’t qualify One Day as real commercial and you have to take into account that she had Jim Sturgess as a co-star and that Chastain had Brad Pitt. Not exactly the same profile.

Anyway, I don’t want to turn this into a Hathaway vs. Chastain debate because I don’t think they’re truly ever up for the same parts anyway. In fact, I’d argue that few of the names mentioned ever compete for the same parts and that the hypothetical nature of the question makes the criterias a little obscure (where the hell are Blanchett, Streep and Mirren?) My point is that Hathaway has been part of some huge hits and does drama well enough that I’m not surprised that she’s among the first names considered.

• Dazza says:

Well those other actresses are not really going to go for the same part. If Streep was ever competing with Lawrence for a part that’s a film I’d love to see 😛

I guess we’re back to square one. I just don’t see where these Hathaway dramas are. She never seems to be even linked to big upcoming dramas. Is she turning her nose up at them? Or is she not being offered them?

To be fair her profile, like Lawrence, is high right now cos of Les Mis so that might have coloured the poll results a tad.