Ginsberg Needs A New Director

By January 19, 2016Nat-news

I haven’t had a chance to check out Marielle Heller’s acclaimed The Diary of a Teenage Girl yet, but based on the response to it I was really pleased that she was looking likely to director Natalie in the Ruth Bader Ginsberg biopic, On The Basis of Sex. Well, kiss goodbye to that according to Anne Thompson.

DGA first-time director nominee Marielle Heller (“The Diary of a Teenage Girl”) has been taking meetings all over town—par for the course—but parted ways with Natalie Portman’s Ruth Bader Ginsberg project and is looking to direct one of her own scripts.

Natalie seems really focused on working with female directors but with Patty Jenkins on Thor 2, Lynne Ramsay on Jane Got A Gun and now this, it just isn’t working out so far.

So does that means Natalie will have nothing to do with the project or that she is likely to not be working with a female director?

• namor12a says:

:of course she will be working with a female Director…she is a female and she is a Director, if she Directs and acts in another movie, she would be working with a female Director…

No need to get snarky with me. I guess I read it wrong…I thought Natalie was going to act it, not direct it, and that again she’s (so far) missing out on the opportunity to act under the direction of a fellow female director.

• Dazza says:

No, Natalie is still attached as far as we can tell. Just means they’re looking for another director and may mean the production plans get moved back to later in the year.

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

• jooerudy says:

I would love to see a sequel of “The Professional” and have Natilie Portman play a hit woman.