Misery Needs Company

By April 18, 2014Uncategorized

I am really excited about Natalie’s directorial debut, A Tale Of Love And Darkness, but I still wish Macbeth (with Michael Fassbender) could have happened as well. Instead schedules meant Natalie dropped out to be replaced by Marion Cortillard, and even though production is under way, the first publicity photos have arrived. Sigh.

downloadth

• Nina says:

I always felt like Natalie wasn’t right for Lady Macbeth. Mainly because her British accent is pretty terrible. It will be interesting to see how Marion Cotillard handles Shakespeare in her original French accent. Lets hope Natalie gives an awards worthy performance as Jane. I’m cautiously optimistic with the release date pushed back.

• fanatical610 says:

Here come the accent police…

Accent or no, I still think she was miscast and probably dodged a bullet by dropping out. I’m still really disappointed that the chances of any new movies and promo this year have slimmed considerably. :/

• Nina says:

Apart from the accent issue I think Natalie’s too petite and cute looking for Lady Macbeth. I think Marion suits the part better. Natalie probably did dodge a bullet.

• Belerofonte says:

I honestly still think it would have been very interesting to see Natalie in this film. I think she has the strength to play the character, and certainly would have done a great job.

As for the accent, what I do not understand is why a lot of people in internet, when they knew that Natalie was going to do the film, fumed that “she would be terrible trying to do a Scottish accent” and then, when it emerged that Cotillard would finally do the role, suddenly the subject of accent did not matter so much … curious, very curious. It says a lot about people and their prejudices against an actor depending on whether you like or not.

I like Marion Cotillard so much as an actress, and I understand that, with her choice for the role, the importance of accent in this film for the director and the producers is quite secondary, as is the choice of Fassbender … or Natalie at the time.

• awiseone says:

Not a fan of Marion Cotillard so I won’t be seeing this …I was very very disappointed Natalie was not able to do this project. She’s an actress and characters such as this would cause her to stretch. I don’t want to see her doing the same predictable characters over and over again that would be boring …

• Dazza says:

Wow, think that’s the first time I’ve heard someone diss Marion. Definitely one of my favourite actresses and if Natalie couldn’t do the role I’m happy to see her in it instead.