Its evolution, baby

By August 4, 2008Site-news

This is the first post in a brand new update system that Kris has setup for the site. The biggest change is that instead of one large update most days, each item worthy of a mention on the site will get its own update with its own comments section.

The other big change is that to view the rest of the update, you’ll have to click on “read more”.

So what does this mean? Well it means that news will be posted as soon as I get it, instead of holding off on news till I have enough for a big update. It’ll also allow for more varied updates and a bit more personality and commentary about what is being posted.

We’ve also created three categories for updates – Natalie news, Site news and Opinions. To the right of an update title you will see a symbol telling you which category that update falls under, which means that if you are only interested in Natalie news then it’ll be easy to skim the main page and pick out the updates relevant to you.

Currently we’re using temporary icons to represent the categories. They are:

Site = monitor
Nat = newspaper
Opinion = speech bubble

If you would like a shot at making custom icons to replace those generic ones, fire me a mail.

There are two other smaller changes. A thanks/credit section at the bottom of every update and at the bottom of the main page, links to the previous pages of news.

I think this has been a long time coming and while it’ll be strange changing the way I update, after all these years, I think its going to be a lot of fun.

Comments and suggestions are most welcome as its still a bit rough and can be polished with some help from you guys.

We’re now going to focus more on the graphical/layout update of the site so stay tuned for that.

• Carlotto says:

Congratulations! I love it =)

• joniebonie says:

i’d like it MUCH more without the “read more”-button, this is somehow breaking the nice flow of glancing over all the news. nevertheless, the new categorization of the news appears to please 🙂

i’m lokking forward for the redesign!

• Garcy says:

I echo joniebonie on the “read more” idea.

Not all updates will require a “read more” and I need to play around with it a bit more to find a nice length and the best place to make the “cut”. Obviously its more for longer updates. I did it early and mid sentence in this update because I happened to be talking about the feature at that particular point and thought that was the best to to show the cut for the first time

In the past what we’ve basically had is almost a highlights package for updates. It will be a shock at first, a site I visit daily did a similar switcheroo a couple years back and at first I was put off but it didn’t take long to adjust.

• plop says:

I guess it is too soon to have an opinion. Many changes are odd at the first moment, but later you find them better.

If there is somethnig that I would like to change is the size of the date. From time to time I go to the archived news, and to search reqires an easier to read date. Some day the present news will be in the archived section, and to look for one among them, would be usefull to have the date in a bigger size. Just a though.

• herzwerk r.o.d says:

Not a fan of the “read more” button either.
    I think it would be nice to have a “previous news” and “following news” button on the news we’re currently reading (what I wrote is not clear at all, is it?).
    Because when you have several news to read, you must click on the first one, then go back to the main page, click on the second one, etc.

Herz – Next and Previous buttons are a must. I only thought of it earlier today when it went up and didn’t have time to talk to Kris about it, but I assume it won’t be too much of a problem to add.

The time and date, I hear what you’re saying Plop but I actually specifically asked Kris to make it smaller. My take is it should be viewable IF you’re looking for it but if not (which will be 99% of the time) it shouldn’t grab the eye on its own.

• sak says:

i have to admit i’m not a fun of the “read more” thingy either. I kind of enjoy a full page of a write up instead of a preface paragraph and a link. Every other news site has a similar setup. It’s much less personal.

Well I’ll try and use it more sparingly and when I think its really needed. For me, if at any time you can’t see at least two updates on your monitor then that’s a problem. For instance, even though it takes longer, I prefer an update that uses thumbs compared to one that uses links. But the problem is if there are a lot of thumbs then it takes up a lot of space and pushes previous updates even further down the page.

But now, I see no reason to not use thumbs at every opportunity (like the wallpaper update earlier, which I would normally only link to) as I can just cut wherever I need to and thus save that main page space.

• Miller says:

If np.com was a person I’d say “damn, you’re looking good! wanna meet up sometime?”
    Nice work, I love it!

Np.com is a person. His name is Jean-Robert and he’s an alcoholic mime.

• plop says:

Well, after all, the most important things for a searche are year and months, and I guess those will remain in the “archived news” section.

On the other hand, it can be nice to have a glimpse and select what are you going to read.

• JoseChung says:

I used to work as a narrator for bad mimes. (“I don’t know, I think he’s stuck in a box or something.”) If you shoot a mime, should you use a silencer?

Whoa! A huge ad just popped up on me!

Anyway, I think the icon idea used to identify each type of story is a cool one. The most creativity I have is in my pinky finger, so I would be of no help in coming up with more Nat-centered ones, and am still a photoshop amateur at best. But there are A LOT of creative people on here. How about a contest to stir up interest in making more unique icons?