Brothers at TIFF?

By August 16, 2008Nat-news

Natalie’s December release, Brothers, should start to come into focus in the coming months. If MGM consider it a possible awards contender, then they’ll have a strategy in place to best get that kind of traction going for the film.

Part of that strategy might include the Toronto International Film Festival and Hollywood Elsewhere had a little piece up about that very thing.

When Tuesday morning’s final roster of Toronto Film Festival selections is announced, I for one would love to see Jim Sheridan’s Brothers (MGM, 12.4) included.

He goes on to add:

Over the last couple of days I’ve written and called Sheridan (who’s in town) to ask if Toronto might happen, and I’ve heard nothing back. I asked incoming MGM marketing guy Mike Vollman, who said something along the lines of “I haven’t heard” or something like that. I also asked MGM corporate guy Jeff Pryor and he, too, claimed ignorance of the particulars, etc. You can interpret these three guys saying nothing as an indication of something or not. Probably not, I’m guessing, but it’s only 72 hours to Tuesday morning.

• Garcy says:

Please please please please please let “Brothers” be included at this year’s TIFF. It’s definitely a good start for an Oscar push. That, and she’ll come to my hometown. *Crosses fingers*

• Garcy says:

Something tells me it won’t happen though. Isn’t the Venice Film Fest happening around the same time?

I think TIFF is the week after Venice, although if they wanted to do it I doubt one of the stars being missing would effect those plans.

I hope it goes but since the film only opens 3 months later they might not want to start the buzz too early. A strategy that worked for The Departed.

• Mockingbird says:

Venice and TIFF are about a week apart (Toronto 2008: Sep 4-13; Venice: Sep 4-13). Quite a few films debut at both festivals, especially if they are prestige pics. I did read that “Brothers” was submitted for Toronto but I guess we have to wait until Tueday to see if the Toronto organisers select it or reject it.

• Mockingbird says:

Oops the film festival dates I posted made no sense. It is Venice 2008:Aug 27-Sep 6; and Toronto:Sep 4 – 13.

• downwithbears says:

Cool, I might be able to go to that. I might be able to actually see her in person or maybe even run into her in the street.

“I know you don’t know me and you’re probably wondering why I’ve been following you the last few blocks, but I really think we were meant to be together……

I’m sure that won’t creep her out at all. Who I am kidding, I’d be too chicken to go anywhere near her. But I still hope this is true though.

• Rafael28 says:

Brothers looks promising. I am pumped.