Nat has one of the 100 Greatest Movie Characters

By November 26, 2008Nat-news

If you’re thinking “I wonder if its Padme?”, slap yourself across the face right this instant!

Nope, this Empire chosen great character happened to be her first – Mathilda.

“Is life always this hard, or is it just when you’re a kid?” – Mathilda

Played By: Natalie Portman
Film: Leon

Why She’s On The List: The coolest kid in movie history – fact. Mathilda is 12 years-old when a corrupt cops kills her family, forcing her to seek solace with hitman neighbour Leon. But, for most of the movie, this frightened little kid acts like someone twice her age. Sassy and hyper-confident, even in her blossoming sexuality, the Louise Brooks-bobbed Mathilda served notice of an astounding new talent in Portman.

Finest Hour: Trembling with fear and uncorked rage, a kid again, as she fails to kill her own personal bogeyman, Norman Stansfield, in a police station’s men’s room.

Check out the full list here.

I think I liked Natalie as Mathilda so much because she was not only a non-annoying child actor (seemingly hard to find) with acting chops, but her character was also kind of badass.

• Agie says:

Wow! Mathilda on 100 best characters list? Great! That just made my day better. But Tyler Durden shouldn’t be first, Darth Vader rules!!!!

• clone says:

who is this Tyler Durden? he isn’t a character you can remember by name and image. he shouldn’t be there,vader is really first of course. As for Mathilda, I don’t think so, cause people see her as Padme alot since natalie played padme 3 times.

• ked says:

It is definitely still good to see The Professional. I’m always wanting to show it to people who haven’t seen it.

I don’t think anybody sees Mathilda as Padme but you, Clone. Not only that, but Padme was a weak, poorly written character and aside from her fabulous futuristic couture, completely unmemorable.

• natpfan1 says:

Yay! That’s awesome! Wish she was ranked higher but that’s great anyway! Mathilda is such a cool character, I totally love The Professional!
    I agree with omgzrachel, Padmé is a very forgettable character, even though I love Natalie and the wardrobe she had in Star Wars.
    Nice to see Darth Vader and Han Solo on top!