According to Nikki Finke, Natalie is in the running for the lead female role in Marvel’s Thor film. I honestly don’t know much about Thor but Marvel have had a pretty decent start as a film studio and certainly care about their properties. The choice to have Kenneth Branagh direct is also very intriguing. I’ve sent out some emails and hope to get some clarification on this tomorrow.

Until then, here is Cinematical’s two cents:

No one knows if Portman is being eyed to play Amora the Enchantress, lover and antagonist of Thor up in Asgard, or if she’ll be playing a “real world” love interest of Donald Blake. The latter would suit the delicate Portman much better … but hey, maybe playing a Nordic goddess could finally allow her to cut loose. It feels like it’s been awhile since Portman wowed audiences, and maybe the Marvel Universe is just the place for her to do it.

Frankly, I would have preferred to see her as the Black Widow in Iron Man 2 over Scarlett “isn’t my cleavage fantastic?” Johansson. If you’re going to pick a Bolyen girl, you might as well pick the one who emoted the most, and the one who looks the most Eastern European. (To be kind, Johansson would be a better pick for the Nordic Asgard. Any way we can reverse the casting at this late hour?)

I’m so over comic book movies.

• clone says:

In the mighty Thor comic’s, Lockie turned Thor’s lady’s blond hair to black. Now if Natalie plays this role, that means she’ll have 2 name icons to choose from.

• Richard85 says:

It’s sounds really interesting!
    🙂

• KateOrta says:

I love Natalie in V for Vendetta. One of the best comic movies I have ever seen. And since one of my favorite – “crush” – actor Alexander Skarsgard is up for the leading male role of Thor (Natalie has played with his father Stellan in Goyas Ghosts) I would so enjoy to see the movie! Let´s hope they both will be cast 😉 Alex is very charismatic actor. Though it would be kind of hillarious since Natalie is so petit and Alex is so tall (6 feet 4 inches – true Viking)

• thevoid99 says:

I kind of tired out with comic book films but if Thor does work and will be handled in a professional manner. I think Natalie could do the job very well.

Natalie’s a more accomplished, disciplined actress and would certainly fit in the role of Amora. I would also prefer Natalie over Scarlett as anyone in anything. Scarlett to me, is the opposite of what Natalie is as an actress. I wasn’t happy about her playing Black Widow in Iron Man 2 either.

I would’ve preferred Emily Blunt or someone who has the acting discipline to pull of a Russian accent and be engaging. Scarlett is more of a name than an actress these days. It’s just that you can’t take her seriously anymore these days and being a former fan of hers. It’s just very disillusioning to see that she never took advantage of being a serious actress and went for the star route to the point that no one really takes her seriously. My Filmspotting peers were right, she’s been phoning in performances for about 5 years now.

• Dazza says:

I thought 2008 was a pretty good year for Scarlett. I was actually quite impressed with her in Boleyn and Vicky Christina Barcelona. Not a great actress but certainly capable of “good” performances.