Pucker Up

By June 2, 2009Opinions

Since it’s all quiet on the Natalie front (although expect a little MakingOf gift later) I thought I might as well respond to Lodovico’s response to yesterday’s Your Highness update.

Lodovico is upset with and firmly disagrees that Natalie will be kissing Danny Mcbride in their new film. Here’s what he had to say:

Even if this is a comedy, that would be too weird they to hook up. And McBride’s character seems a lazy and arrogant nerd, a loser. I highly doubt he gets Natalie’s character at the end. That wouldn’t be funny, just simply weird and awkward. Maybe he’s stalking her aggressively but I couldn’t imagine more… ougggghhhhh… besides, there is already a romantic sequence: between Franco and her fiancΓ©e.
I think to show her romantically involved with ugly or weird people is quite unbelievable and unattractive. That’s why they didn’t show her hooking up with Javier Bardem’s character. πŸ™‚ So, I really don’t know why do you think it’s necessary to put her together with an unattractive, fat chubby guy. And why do you think they SHOULD do it. That would be quite disappointing and incredible, so I would be surprised if they would want them hooking up. Ouhhhh….

Firstly, Danny Mcbride is clearly a hot piece of ass.

But for the purposes of this debate, lets just hypothetically agree that he doesn’t make the girls go wild.

Lodovico, buddy, have you ever seen a comedy?

If a pretty girl falling for an unattractive guy is weird, then what is something like the medieval fight that breaks out in Anchorman. That’s weird. What you’re talking about is not only NOT weird but is actually a common practice in comedy.

If anyone is the face of comedy at the moment it is probably this guy.

Seth Rogen.

Now who are some of his love interests from recent comedies?

Dude, how weirded out are you right now? Not only is he physically not a match for those ladies, in those three films he plays, what you would call, a loser. Lazy. Geeky. Pot smoking man-child.

But okay, Seth Rogen is clearly a one off right? He’s got a cute smile and is charming and witty, which makes up for his flaws. But really think of comedians in film…

Adam Sandler
Jonah Hill
Will Ferrel
Jack Black
Jason Segel
Christopher Mintz-Plasse
Michael Cera
Ben Stiller

Hell, even go back in time to…

Jim Carrey
Chevy Chase
Walter Matthau
Jim Belushi
Gene Wilder
Tom Hanks
Bill Murray
Dan Ackroyd
Billy Crystal

Most of the time these guys get the beautiful girl.

And it works. An unusual match up lends itself to comedy. Its not meant to be exactly as it is in the real world. A loser pining after a girl out of his league only to get her in the end can be funny and sweet and entertaining (if done right).

So, no, I don’t think its weird at all.

That’s plausible.

But it’s also much less likely than our flawed but lovable (anti)hero getting the girl in the end.

PS – Why does the thought of it bother you so much?

PPS – Did you just compare Javier Bardem’s looks to Danny Mcbride?

PPPS – I’m totally making this the next poll question.

• Lodovico Settembrini says:

Thank you for this long response, but Dazza, my dear buddy… do you own the whole script? How can you be sure he actually gets her?

“Why does the thought of it bother you so much?”
    Because McBride is just UGLY and quite UNATTRACTIVE. You compared him to Seth Rogen? Tom Hanks? Dan Akroyd?

I still think this WON’T HAPPEN.

• Lodovico Settembrini says:

“Of course its entirely possible that the gag is that he pines over Natalie and she continually shoots him down, even at the very end where we would expect her to finally give him his wish.”

Yeah, it’s plausible. So, I can only say, we will see it. But I doubt I’m alone with my opinion. πŸ™‚

• Lodovico Settembrini says:

Oh, and yet another thing. Have you seen Natalie’s Letterman appearance back in 2008 when she promoted The Other Boleyn Girl? Watch it again… there is a point in the discussion which is pretty much related to our little thing… and proves I’m may right. πŸ™‚

• downwithbears says:

I find it amusing when internet people get mad when an actress they have a crush on could potentially be kissing/dating someone they don’t like. And by amusing, I mean creepy.

Dude, Kenny Powers/Danny McBride is a fuckin’ pimp, no women can resist his charms.

And you don’t need a university degree in Comedy Science to know that in comedies, the lovable geek/loser always gets the girl.

• Dazza says:

Don’t have time right now to check the clip but unless she says “Even if the part requires it, I will not kiss an actor I find deeply unattractive”, I don’t think I’m going to be changing my opinion.

• Lodovico Settembrini says:

Hey, Downey, calm down, my friend. You’re wrong. Normally I DON’T CARE who’s she hook up on screen. This particular thing made me do that. And if you think McBride is charming, you’re… so, you’re… ok, I don’t explain further. πŸ™‚
    Dazza, I didn’t think of that part.

• Lodovico Settembrini says:

At 05:22

πŸ™‚

Fat guys, eh?

So, that’s just my opinion and you have your own. But I really don’t care who is her partner. If I’m critical, I always have problems with the concepcion, with the roles. So I’ve nothing against McBride personally. That would be quite childish and pathetic. I’m agaist the concepcion you assumes will be used.

But maybe I’d accept it if they could make it a really funny and in a nice way. Who knows. But I find it unlikely to make this nicely, that’s a hunch. Rather Sean Penn… πŸ™‚

• Lodovico Settembrini says:

I would like to end the discussion before everyone who is on Downey’s opinion tries to kill me… πŸ™‚ So, we exchanged our feelings and suspicions, and that’s all. I don’t want this to be serious. We don’t own the script, so our opinion is quite irrelevant, I guess.

• Dazza says:

Nobody is trying to kill you. Don’t be so dramatic. Its just a bit of entertainment to pass the time.

• downwithbears says:

Am I Downey?

I think my post was pretty lighthearted. Maybe my attempts at humor failed but I wasn’t trying to be all serious and I certaintly wasn’t trying to entice people to murder you. If I in anyway endangered your life, I apologize.

Anyway, I’m excited about the movie. There’s no guarantee it will be good of course, but I’ll take my chances with that cast.

The fat, ugly stupid guy getting the clever supermodel has always irritated me in movies/TV, but c’mon dude. Just reading the plot synopsis, this looks like it’s supposed to be ridiculous.

• spoonbat says:

Lodo, again I think a lot of this has to do w/your lack of knowledge of English.

In America it is considered “formula” in comedies for ugly men to get beautiful women. Meaning that’s a story line that sells tickets and that writers and studios use to make stories that make them money.

I know some on here would probably say though that after Devendra they’re not too sure…..lol

• Lodovico Settembrini says:

“I don’t know what your hang up is. Even if they stage a fake sex scene in the movie I highly doubt she would date this guy. He really doesn’t seem her type.”

:-)))) Your posts are sometimes really entertaining, Spoon. We spoke about movie roles, not real life. πŸ™‚ But let’s stop this discussion till the movie comes out. πŸ™‚

• Nannina says:

It is interesting though that it is very rarely the reverse in movies. If there is a schulubby female character she always needs a makeover before she gets the guy in order to be worthy of him. Also the schulubbiness is rarely convincing, and is usually just “geeky” or “plain” (read “wears glasses” and “has an unfashionable haircut”).

Women are supposed to value humor in guys above all other qualities, and guys are supposed to value looks. I guess it allows guys to think “well at least I’m funny.” Who knows… still it seems like pure wish fulfillment, which isn’t a bad thing per say (what else is film if not wish fulfillment fantasy), but it gets a little boring.

• Dazza says:

Well its not like there are no movies where beautiful girls get hunky guys. Matthew McIhatetryingtospellhisname has made a career out of (bad) romantic comedies. Dane Cook being another one.

You’re right that you don’t really see ugly girls with great looking guys in film, but I actually think that reflects (sadly) the real world. I see plenty of girls with guys who aren’t good looking but very very VERY seldom do I see the reverse.

• downwithbears says:

I agree that these movies are definately wish fullfillment. Most writers/comedians probably weren’t popular with the ladies growing up, and these movies just give them a chance to see their fantasies on screen.

If I was a girl I would be annoyed by them too, because it’s definately shallow. You have all these movies where geeky guys/fat shlubs are in love with beautiful women for no real reason other than the fact that they’re beautiful. The women are always portrayed as shallow for not liking the geek/shlub at first, but if you think about it, the geek/schlub is just as shallow, if not more. They only like the girl because she’s hot, even if she treats him like shit, when there are probably girls they are a lot more compatable with that they ignore because they’re not as hot.