Norbit Strings Attached

By December 9, 2010Nat-news

Popeater has an article up about how No Strings Attached could harm Natalie’s Oscar chances. They cite the release of Norbit possibly ruining Eddie Murphy’s Oscar chances for Dreamgirls a couple years ago.

Personally, I don’t see much danger in that hypothetical situation playing out. Norbit is one of the worst reviewed films in years, so No Strings Attached would have to be a REAL stinker to reach those levels. I’m not exactly enthused about the film but at worst it looks like inoffensive fluff.

More importantly, Norbit was a typical Eddie Murphy film and reminded people that he’s constantly making lowest common denominator films. Natalie has been acting for almost 2 decades and No Strings Attached is her first mainstream romcom.

• celia says:

Eh. Everyone knows since the name “Ashton Kutcher” became associated with Nat I was not thrilled. But I don’t think a harmless romantic comedy will hurt her Oscar chances. Other actors will be voting for her and she is quite popular among her peers (including the biggest names like say Ms. Streep who loves Nat and also makes a few romantic comedies a year it seems). I think Black Swan will overshadow a misstep. And who’s to say this is one? I’m not on board with it…but I haven’t seen it. Maybe Natalie is funny, adorable, and fantastic in it. Maybe the movie has something more too it (Natalie has stated 1000 times she never wants to have the standard “girlfriend” role…she’s not hurting for cash or anything and has plenty of offers…why would she take something completely bad?). We shall see but hurting her chances? Maybe if everyone in the industry voted for best actress. But that is not the case. And comparing Eddie Murphy to Nat is just…ridiculous.

• Demian says:

Celia:

I am TOTALLY agree with you.
    x

This is dumb. I’ve obviously not seen NSA, but it doesn’t look anywhere near the same level as Norbit. Or All About Steve. I seem to recall Sandra Bullock starring in that stinker and still going on to win the Oscar.

Why should one movie affect another? Her performance for No Strings has nothing to do with her performance in Black Swan, so why should that affect her getting a nomination?

Jess, in case you’re genuinely asking – because people are human and voting will always be coloured by outside factors.

• #1NatPortfan says:

Maybe Popeater wishes that No Strings Attached may harm Nats chance for the oscars,but that’s not gonna happen.The people of the academy are beggining to have second thoughts about Annette Bening and Natalie is catching fast on Mrs.Bening,with Black Swan expanding to more theaters and more praises are shown to the film.By the time NSA is shown the Academy voters will have made up their minds about who will be nominated for best actress.And if they award for performance,they will do the right thing and award Natalie the oscar for Best Actress.

• thevoid99 says:

I read that article a week ago I think… it also said that “Bride Wars” hurt Anne Hathaway’s Oscar chances.

I don’t really think it did. It was just that Marion Cottiliard was the surprise win. Still, they should’ve pushed that stupid Kettlehead flick to some other time. After all, he can’t even draw a dime these days.

• Chauster says:

lolz…even if this dude’s arguments are valid, he fails to consider that it is NORBIT he’s talking about, a strong contender for ‘the worst film of 2007’ award. And no matter how bad Strings may be, I have enough trust in Natalie’s ability to pick projects to feel that she would do things that are at least a couple notches above Norbit.

• awiseone says:

I think the fact that Sandra received an Oscar as well as a Razzie in the same year negates this Norbit business…

Doing a romcom is not a bad thing and after the intensity of Black Swan…Natalie even said her mom asked her to do a comedy …
    and take a break from these intense roles…

This keeps her from becoming boring and makes her more interesting to watch.

Plus Natalie likes watching romcoms.