Natalie Heads To The Old West

By May 22, 2012Nat-news

You can never say that Natalie doesn’t try a lot of different types of films, and it sounds like we’ve got another first coming up – a western. The Hollywood Reporter is, errr, reporting that Natalie will be starring in Lynne Ramsay’s, Jane Got A Gun, and the project is looking for investment in Cannes and LA right now.

Jane Got a Gun centers on a woman whose outlaw husband returns home barely alive and riddled with bullet wounds. She is forced to reach out to an ex-lover and ask if he will help defend her farm when her husband’s gang eventually tracks him down to finish the job.

The script landed on The Black List, which was the list of the best unproduced scripts knocking about Hollywood, which sounds great until you remember that No Strings Attached also made the list one year.

Lynne Ramsay is a very respected director, but I’ve got no real opinion on her yet. Her last film was We Need To Talk About Kevin, which I found both impressive and frustrating. I’ve been meaning to watch her first feature film, Ratcatcher, for awhile now, but never got around to it. I need to correct that right now!

What do you guys think?

• Dazza says:

First thought – I hope that’s a temporary title.

• Poppy says:

According to Just Jared Natalie is going to produce this too

As with all rumors, won’t believe it until I see it.

• Nannina says:

Definitely intrigued. Technically a little sexist of me, but I’m always excited to hear about women directors, and in general really like to support their work.

• nattyfanstar says:

mmmm I am so scare with these kind of up comming movies, I am agree with Thor 2 plus 2 movies with Terence M. but this idea maybe is a rumor like was The Hangover female vertion and others, and my other fear here is that maybe natty will do stupid projects like reese witherspoon, after the Oscar nothing good, sorry if I was rude but she is my favorite actrees and that project sounds terrible

• Dazza says:

I’ll hopefully have confirmation soon, but I’d be surprised if it’s not true. Hard to judge the project on a synopsis, but given Ramsay’s previous work, it’s more likely going to be on the artier side of the scale.

I’m generally more excited for projects like this than something like Thor 2. I like seeing her being stretched as an actress and of course when she succeeds, getting praise from the film community feels great. Commercial success is nice as well, but not as important for me at least.

Of course both, such as Black Swan, is the ideal scenario.

• thevoid99 says:

Natalie Portman & Lynne Ramsay?

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• AMSSERME says:

That would be awesome if true!But I think Natalie worked in a western before:Cold Mountain.She knows how to shoot a rifle so it would be interesting to see how the story develops her character.Hope this is true.

• Adonis says:

I think Natalie should make the movie if he is shot – because it sounds kind of exciting and for action!
    Of course you would need a bit more information about that script, that she might have a better idea of ​​this film.
    So when Natalie makes the film, he is guaranteed to be a great success. Because they know to deal with firearms, just as you would from their first and best film “Leon” knows.
    “So, there you go Natalie!”

• PatrynXX says:

looks like the RSS is working again for the moment. just updated. so back up to I think black swan art , crossing fingers

• alephnatben says:

No guys, I think this is the real deal, as confirmed by the script’s writer, Brian Duffield.

• Mockingbird says:

Great to see Natalie supporting female directors. Most Black list scripts are all hype anyway but the story sounds intriguing and Lynne Ramsey is very talented and passionate about her work. Wonder who they will land the lead male role if it goes ahead?

This plot reminds me a teensy bit of her role in “Cold Mountain”.

• thevoid99 says:

For those who have idea of who Lynne Ramsay is or where to start, read my Auteurs piece on her: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2011/12/auteurs-6-lynne-ramsay.html

This sounds like something that would require her to do an accent. No thank you.

• whenpukedries says:

I’m happy for her. I agree with Dazza that the concern should be the work and not the commercial success. I really hope this film reaches for the stars with a message of some sort, because I think her movies have been shy of that type of genre bending scenario where everything falls into place and everyone gets it and is challenged, with the exception of Black Swan you say, however I think Black Swan was hokey. The Other Boleyn girl, The Other Woman, and I think I could throw Hesher and Thor into the mix without having seen them–they were nice films, but they didn’t raise the bar. I think that she might do well in a violent movie as a postlude to Leon. I didn’t know postlude was a word either but indeed it is.

• NPortmanFan says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Movies galore. I’m happy!