2 Weeks Later

By January 7, 2013Site-news

It’s a couple weeks since we went live with the new site and we’ve still got a lot to do. I thought it was time to check in and talk about some of the fixes and things that are on the to do list.

Changes today:

– Added back Twitter, Facebook, RSS (which I don’t think is working yet) and Tumblr icons.
– Changed calendar to list view as we weren’t happy with how the full calendar view was looking. I’ll be adding to it tomorrow.
– Gravatar avatars should now work in the comments section. Go here, register with the same email you registered on with WordPress, upload a photo and that should do it. I say should because I can’t see my own avatar but Kris says he can see it. So try it out and let us know.

More after the jump…

Changes to come:

– The banner poll will be along shortly. Have some very nice submissions but are hoping for a few more. I’m looking at you Celina and Carlotto. We might actually change up the banner a few times a year, especially if the voting is close.
– The font. A few of you have complained so we’re going to look into maybe making a change there. Also need to have it display accented characters properly.
– An album of the week solution. Rotating images is the problem. We could just have a photo of the week…would that be okay or do you guys really want albums?
– Would you guys want a tag cloud? We’re trying to dish out the tags with each update but right now there isn’t really a way to search for them.

If you have any suggestions, comments or problems please let us know below or drop me an email.

• Lee Bartholomew says:

RSS is working now. But the old link like resubbing all the Twitter ones. doesn’t work. Had to resub. So got 20 posts on Opera. Missed the way Flock did things but I’ll have to settle for this. (Flock was the social style of Mozilla) when died a couple of years ago after switching to Chromium for whatever reason. That never worked.

• Nannina says:

I know the idea of it just made Kris tired after he uploaded the site, but if it is at all possible to make the site work on an iPad that would be awesome.

Even though it initially isn’t too hard to zoom in, every time you open a link you have to rezoom, and if you want to open a photo it opens outside of the area that you have zoomed in on, and then move whenever you hit the next button on the photo album. Kind of makes you not want to look at photos or open links. I don’t know how many people there are that routinely check the site on iPads, but it is my main way of looking at it, and if it could be fixed it really would make a difference. Thanks!

• Stefan says:

Hi Dazza,

Album of the weeks works fine on WP, as you can see on the german site (upper right corner in the banner)- not in the widgets, but I’ll working on it to get it there 🙂

A Tag-Cloud would be nice – I use them often to search for some keywords.
    I think it’s much easier as the “normal” search.

The calender looks now much nicer than before!
    I miss the link-section. Are they gone, or not realised yet?

But I realy like the new style of np.com!
    Greetings from germany 🙂

• Stefan says:

Okay, I’ve done it with the album of the week in the widget area ^^
    I use this Easing Slider

• ana says:

Hi. It looks cool, but where is the articles section? thanks and good luck.

• Adonis says:

I like the new site in all areas, and of course, here everyone can upload their avatar, I think is great! 🙂
    Am I visible?

• Kitten says:

There seems to be a small bug with the gallery, I was viewing the Movie pics today and when you click on page 2 or 3 on any gallery it takes you to the main page

• Dazza says:

Mass reply…

Nannina – We are aware of the issue and will try and work it out. Kris doesn’t have an ipad which obviously doesn’t help.

Kitten – Thought that was resolved, will speak to Kris.

Adonis – You are. Can you guys see my avatar? I still can’t.

Ana – As mentioned initially, articles and video will come later.

Stefan – Thanks but we don’t use wordpress as our gallery so that wouldn’t work. But we found one that should. Rachel will probably do the first album of the week later today. Can’t remember the situation with links, should be easy to add.

Daz, I can see your avatar. This is probably asking the obvious, but have you tried doing a hard browser refresh? Check your email re: the gallery of the week.

• Adonis says:

Dazza, I can not see your avatar … maybe later.
    The only avatars that I see is ana’s and mine.

• Dazza says:

So some people can see it and some people can’t. Haha. Great.

Rach – I tried that. I viewed with chrome (logged in) and FF (not logged in) and my phone. On all of them my avatar only shows up in the top right. Bizarre.

If you do a photo of the week won’t that inevitably take you to the album it’s in, right? Then you don’t have to rotate photos every day, just keep the same photo up all week from a different album. Am I making sense? Or is that not even do-able?

Oh also, I read all the comments but didn’t see this mentioned. Above Site Statistics there’s an empty box with arrows on the right and left sides. What is that supposed to be?

Yes I can see your avatar.

What I mentioned in my previous comment is working now. I like it…looks great!

• Kris says:

Time for me to chime in:
    Stefan ; thanks for recommendation and I tried it but couldn’t get it to work “the way we want it” (like alot of our stuff). It was pretty sweet to have everything homebrewed and customized the way we want it instead if off the shelf but the site slowness seems to be gone so apparently my programming was at fault (which is weird since it worked perfectly on Linux pre-hack)

We have a long laundry list of improvements to put in place that we’re slowly going through, but again, this is spare time project and I’m right now going through a Microsoft audit of my work in Sharepoint so a bit pressed for time!

Regarding the avatars – I can’t make sense of it showing for some people but not for others. I’m getting the feeling the gravatar site is to blame since the avatars are picked from their site and if you can’t see it it’s because your browser can’t retrieve it from their servers because avatars aren’t stored on our server!

Keep on reporting bugs when you find it!

• Adonis says:

Now I see the avatars of rachel and Kris – it just gets better!
      Dazza, unfortunately, I still see nothing …

• Dazza says:

Hey, my avatar works now. I went into gravatar and just uploaded it again. Voila.

• Adonis says:

Ok Dazza, I see it now.

• Joe Schmo says:

Hi Dazza and Kris,

Site is really coming along.

when I load the page up, for a brief moment I see a lot of menus (e.g., video archive, quotes by Natalie, “The Natalie Portman Story” that eventually disappear.

On my old XP machine the menus disapper:
    Very fast in chrome
    a bit slower in IE and in Firefox
    Really slow in Safari, so much so that you have time to click the menu links.

I guess they are just the old Menus from the site?

luv,
    Joe ” Screw FINCA. Buy Joe a tablet!” Schmo.