Loki Interview Preview

By September 30, 2013Nat-news

Kitten just found a preview of Natalie’s Elle interview, conducted by Tom Hiddleston, and I was really impressed by these two answers in particular. You can read the rest of the preview over here.

Natalie on falling in and out of love on a whim:

‘I see it a lot – this romantic view of the world where you fall in and out of love on a whim. It ignores the depth of trying to know another human being and respect them and love them, and puts in its place the excitement of an immediate intimacy. But really knowing someone? That is such an opportunity.’

Natalie on feminism:

‘I want every version of a woman and a man to be possible. I want women and men to be able to be full-time parents or full-time working people or any combination of the two. I want both to be able to do whatever they want sexually without being called names. I want them to be allowed to be weak and strong and happy and sad – human, basically. The fallacy in Hollywood is that if you’re making a “feminist” story, the woman kicks ass and wins. That’s not feminist, that’s macho. A movie about a weak, vulnerable woman can be feminist if it shows a real person that we can empathise with.’

• Nina says:

There’s a nice big picture of Natalie on the front page of the Times newspaper in the UK. In the article it talks about Natalie’s views on feminism from the Elle interview. I was also pleasantly surprised by the clips from the article. I particularly like what she says about how women are portrayed in Hollywood and the quote from Closer. It’s also one of my favourite quotes from the movie.

• NPyall says:

“I carried a watermelon” haha

• AMSSERME says:

I hope NP.com can find the whole interview.I like Natalie’s view on feminism,very true indeed.

• Adelaïde says:

I know Natalie is a feminist but I’m still scared for her character in the untitled Terrence Malick project. From the pics Malick transformed her into a sort of bimbo (unnatural blonde hair, fake boobs, mini skirts…). So maybe she’s a bimbo whom we will emphatize with, but still I’m not sure Malick has only good intentions in this. Some find his portrayal of women in To The Wonder to be quite mysoginistic. So it will be interesting to see what is her charcacter about and what she thinks of it when it’s released.

• Dazza says:

I thought Olga was the most sympathetic character in To The Wonder.

• Adelaïde says:

I think the same as you about Olga’s character. But all his films are open to every kind of interpretations. I can understand why some people find it mysogynistic in a way. His films are ambiguous to say the least and everyone has a different way to interpret them, good or bad.
        When I saw Natalie’s pics on set, I was very surprised. In general women in his films have a more timeless classical look (Rooney Mara’s look is quite like that). So I’m really curious about her character.