Oscar Night

By March 2, 2014Opinions

No, it’s very unlikely that Natalie will be seen at the Oscars or the after party, where she is normally a regular. A Tale Of Love And Darkness is supposed to be a short shoot but is surely not wrapped yet.

Hopefully one of Natalie’s upcoming films connects and we can see her back in the award season chatter next year. But whether she gets the recognition or not, I just want to see her being tested and pushed again. Thinking back to Black Swan I felt so damn proud, not just for the win but because the film was also great and the performance was more than worthy. I really need a great Natalie performance. It’s been too long.

Thor, Thor 2, Your Highness, No Strings Attached…I’m not saying they’re all awful and not suggesting they don’t have any redeeming features but they’re all so disposable. I’d take one more scene like this over a dozen shrug worthy performances, no matter how cute and beautiful Natalie may be in them.

bs1554th

• fanatical610 says:

Hear, hear!

• AMSSERME says:

Black Swan is one of Natalie’s greatest and successful films.The other films would be Leon,Brothers and Closer.Black Swan will always be remembered as the one that brought the Oscars and marriage to Natalie.

• natness says:

I agree with you, dazza, Natalie´s done a lot of mediocre films since Black Swan. She´s trying to be versatile, doing the artsy heavy-weighted as well as the popcorn films. I say “trying” because I find her constantly unchallenged and listless in the blockbuster flicks. That´s just not her thing. But there´s that Malick film on the horizon right?

• Marion says:

I agree with you! I can’t wait to watch Natalie’s performance and directing skills on “A tale of love and darkness”.

• Juan234 says:

She’s been cashing in on her Oscar with some big payday films. Nothing wrong with that, but that’s how you end up with Thor and Thor 2.

• natness says:

Of course there´s nothing wrong with that. Money´s good. I´m arguing from a more artistic point of view.

• Nina says:

To be fair she filmed Thor before Black Swan came out and she was contractually obliged to film Thor 2. I have high hopes for her performance in Jane. She probably won’t have a large part in the Malick movies. They seem more like ensemble pieces. I agree I wish she pushed her self more as an actor. It’s frustrating to see other actors in really great roles that I’m sure Natalie could do. I think her career could have gone down a different trajectory after her Oscar win but she doesn’t seem to care that much. I could be wrong.

• AMSSERME says:

I agree with you,Nina.Her pregnancy and her almost two years break made her lose roles she could have nailed and send her to the Academy Awards season ( Gravity for example).Although the way the Oscars ended it is probably Natalie wouldn’t had stand a chance to win.But no doubt it brings a ” What If ? ” had Natalie not got pregnant and done Gravity or any of the Films that got Nominated.As you remember after winning her Oscar Natalie became a hot Item and began to receive tons of offers to work but in the end Natalie had to refuse because of her pregnancy.Now with her Directorial debut and her incoming move to Paris,I don’t think we will see Natalie in any new project with the exception of Jane Got A Gun and the Malick films with the risk that she may be edited or cut off from those two films.

• Belerofonte says:

Right now her performance in “A Tale of Love and Darkness” is the one with most dramatic possibilities. Unfortunately, in the latest Malick films, actors often have nothing to do, and get crushed by the vision of the filmmaker. And Jane Got the Gun … I’m afraid I can stay happy if at least it is a decent movie, hope I’m wrong … It’s a also a shame that Natalie is not in Macbeth. It was a unique opportunity in this regard.

The post-production of her directorial debut will take at least six months, so do not think we see her involved in another project until this Fall, at the earliest … but the good thing is the audience will have the chance to see her in four very different films this year, going beyond a minor character in the Thor sequel, and that is very important.

• A. Rowe says:

I’m not worried for her. Natalie is an actress that takes a lot of chances and even her more “artistic” films are hit-or-misses. If her more serious films allow her to push herself, her more commercial films prevent her from taking herself too seriously, which is important for an actress who’s been praised since she was so very young. Two Malik movies and a directorial debut in hebrew is very much the sign of an actress who won’t let herself get lazy.

• Revenge Addict says:

Your Highness was her best movie since The Professional. And I’d watch her in Thor 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 before i watched Black Swan again. LAME!

• Adonis says:

Natalie again needs a real big movie, something like “Leon” of course
    Everyone wants to see Natalie again with an Oscar, right. But that goes my opinion only with a movie called “Mathilda”, the great sequel as I always say.
    Only in such a thriller where Natalie will have the absolute leadership role she will leave for sure with another Oscar in hand the Dolby Theatre.
    Natalie needed movies, where she is the “boss”, and this film definitely gives her everything that leads to great success. Yes I know the problems, film rights, Besson, etc, etc.
    I know that in every celebrity blog important people read along, Natalie is ready in any case and would not say no …

• I didn’t see Black Swan until a few weeks ago, and all I could think of was that it was two hours of my life I wouldn’t get back. Honestly, what is great about it? Nothing really happens, and there’s a lot of ballet (which I, like the men Mila and Natalie met in the bar, find utterly dull).

Natalie’s performance in the movie was brilliant, though. She’s a great actress, but I’ve known this since I saw her in the Professional when it came out, so it wasn’t a big revelation. I also quite liked Mila Kunis in that movie, she’s way more versatile than I’ve given her credit for.

I like that Natalie does these popcorn flicks. They’re great fun, and I find it nice that she’s not above doing stuff like that. And it keeps the vegan food on the table, I guess. I’d take her in Avengers 2 and Thor 3 any day before I see another Black Swan-like flick again.

But please, keep G. Lucas away from her!