V Day

By November 5, 2014Site-news

Remember Remember the 5th of November. That’s what we’ll be doing with today’s new poll, which is focused on the much beloved V For Vendetta. Good luck skimming all the options, your brain might just cave in on itself.

pto_OS_shadow_115th

Nice to see quite a close poll about the Thor 3 news, well, at least among the runner up answers.

thor3pollth

• Dazza says:

Mixed then. Mixed now.

Really love some parts of the film, and hate others. You can have a sublime moment followed up by something ridiculous like this. Such an inconsistent film.

• Belerofonte says:

V for Vendetta is a small miracle….

The perfect example of an imperfect film whose sum of the parts result in an entertaining and engaging story. Conceived as a superhero movie with action scenes (remember that is produced by Joe Silver) can some times prove anodyne or directly ridiculous (the scene Dazza says), but the visual and story elements that have are so stimulating that when just see it you can not stop thinking about her. Proof of this is that every time the movie broadcast on TV, I always see to the end.

And Hugo Weaving, Natalie (and Stephen Rea) are fantastic.

• natness says:

Liked it then. Have mixed feelings now.

I can´t really hate this film despite a central idea of it being so against my convictions. What I have in mind is this “building is a symbol and can be destroyed”-thing. This is nonsense. A thing is a thing, and assumes symbol status only through culture, convention, and interpretation. And of all buildings they chose to blow up the Houses of Parliament, which has for a long time been a symbol of (a developing) democracy if anything. Also I´ve heard the film does not capture the richness and ambiguity of the comic book, which I believe to be true without having read it myself.

• Adonis says:

Natalie was very good in this film. “V for Vendetta” is perhaps not become a box office hit, but he has shown us a reality how the things are today … I mean riots, epidemics, terrorism, civil wars …

• natness says:

@ Adonis:

I think Natalie´s performance is solid in this one. As for the themes, well, riots epidemics terrorism and civil war sound very much like 17th century England, so I wouldn´t call the film a particularly striking analysis of our time (and neither the future). It´s common dystopian ideas in a sort of undefined mash of film noir, comic book aesthetics, and Matrix actions scenes. Plus a villain that, so I heard, doesn´t even come close to his source material.

• Dazza says:

The novel is awesome.

• Adonis says:

Everybody has his own opinion, but I see many parallels in this film of our time …