I’ve wanted to create more video content for awhile and yesterday I set up a new YouTube channel. Most people watch the videos on Facebook and Twitter, but for the non-social media crowd just subscribe and whatever I share to our social channels will also be added to YouTube.
Today’s new video answer the question, “How do you make a successful ad?”
This time of year is traditionally a bit quiet in Natalieland, but with Annihilation just a couple months away we keep getting a drip-drip of content. In the New Year that will probably change to a flood.
Until there, here are some Annihilation-related bits of news.
– Speaking of opinions, in case you missed it from earlier in the year, the author Jeff Vandermeer is very excited about the adaptation of his novel. He’s calling the film “mind-blowing” and “extremely horrific.”
– And finally, a list of 24 films to see in 2018 that, obviously, includes Annihilation.
I was really excited about the prospect of Natalie working on a French film, particularly one directed by Rebecca Zlotowski whose Grand Central is fantastic. Unfortunately, this is one of my least favourite Natalie films. The story has a strong connection to the dead, but its the film that is D.O.A. It certainly looks handsome, and the performances (particularly Natalie and Emmanual Salinger) are solid at the very least.
A couple small bits of Natalie-related news on this lazy Sunday afternoon.
– First up, there is a strong rumour that V for Vendetta may be getting the TV series treatment. If done right, I think this could be interesting. I’m a big fan of the graphic novel and felt the film didn’t quite do it justice. Channel Four in the UK are interested and I’d certainly be curious to see what they come up with. I imagine I’d be in the minority on that.
– If you’ve read Annihilation you may be interested in >this article looking at the elements in the trailer that are right from the page.
– Finally, if you’re planning a Natalie Halloween outfit you’re probably thinking of Leon, Star Wars, V for Vendetta, Black Swan, etc. You’re probably not thinking of Jackie, but here is a guide to the perfect Jackie Halloween outfit.
A couple months back I finally caught Natalie Portman’s feature directorial (and writing) debut, A Tale of Love and Darkness. The fact that it’s taken me this long to post anything says that a) I’ve been busy and b) I don’t have much to say.
It’s a sincere and accomplished film that, to me at least, didn’t feel like it came from a first-time filmmaker. But like Natalie’s character, it feels somewhat removed and distant. I felt like an observer the whole time, never drawn into the story or characters. Read More
I’m not sure if it is because of Eating Animals, or some other reason, but I’ve noticed a lot of messages on our social media channels along the lines of “How can Natalie talk about how we should treat animals when Dior tests its products on them.”
I don’t have an answer to that but I thought it would be a good idea to summarize the situation. So…
Does Dior test on animals?
It wouldn’t be the first time that advocacy groups would be wrong (see: GMOs) but as far as I can tell, the answer to the question is “yes”, with an important caveat – Dior doesn’t test or work with companies that test unless required to do so by law. China requires testing by law. Dior sells in China. So, for that market, their products are tested.
What does this say about Dior?
It means they’re another company that, like Apple, that even though they do a lot of good they are also willing to compromise in order to access a massive market.
This year I’ve been trying to re-engage with Natland and have a bunch of ideas bubbling under the surface. Video content? Sure. The return of the comics? Maybe. But first out the gate is our very own t-shirt design. The Mathilda – Nah t-shirt will be available very soon, but here is a preview to whet the appetite.
A bunch of photos and gifs have landed online, signalling a new Miss Dior commercial on the horizon. There will probably be flowers. There will definitely be a crummy old song. But there will also be a gorgeous Natalie so stay tuned. Thanks to Eden!